How do you get a word in edge-wise, when talking to a JW?

by Faithful Witness 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi Faithful Witness, There is nothing you can do to confront a JW's cult persona head on, unless you want to end your bible study using "Shock and Awe" techniques?

Before I new about Steve Hassan's BITE control methods and reading about the experiences of other JWN members, I had two bible studies with an elder and another with a brother. The elder used the same techniques as your elderette, but also wanted to form a personal relationship with me so he spent a lot of time talking about non-JW topics. Based on my experiences with the elder, I feel that his authentic persona was stronger than your elderette's authentic persona. The brother on the other hand had a very strong cult persona and wanted to indoctrinate me more than the elder and ended his indoctination of me when I become more confrontational with his views that "True Christians" need an organization to lead them. With the brother, I believe, that I successfully caused him cognitive dissonance about the WTBTS's blood policy because he switched his tactics to "True Christians" need an organization to lead them. I wish I knew to ask him to show me in the Bible that Jesus Christ said that.

Based on my two experiences, IMHO your best options are:

1. Ask your elderettes simple questions to learn more about their authentic personas;
    2. Learn how to turn off and on a JW's cult persona. When you greet your edlerettes, keep your elderettes off balance by asking if something is bothering them because of their clothing, make-up, or hair being out of place or out of character. Offer them cookies and tea and engage them in social conversations as soon as possible. Everyone is different so listen to what your elderettes say and observe your elderettes' body language. Alter your body language to experiment with how it effects your elderettes'.
    3. Ask simple, short questions about showing you that Jesus Christ taught or showed by example with a non-WTBTS Bible or some other non-WTBTS reference about what they said when they use circular logic statements, unsubstantiated statements, or make unhealthy comments about you not having the right attitude. If the elderettes can not relate to you asking them why are they making unhealthy comments about your attitude though an example like being pressured by a car salesman or time-share salesman, then show them Steve Hassan's video How Big is the Phenomenon of Undue Influence? (2:01) Also, counter their thought-stopping platitudes whenever you can with short counter statements and/or questions. By gently confronting a JW's cult persona, you will be helping their authentic persona to become stronger.
    4. Do not spend more than 1-1/2 hours studying with your elderettes to maintain your emotional well-being and reduce your frustrations. Always tell your elderettes that you have a pre-exiting appointment before they come over so that they will not overstay their welcome.

Making declaritive statements to confront JWs directly about WTBTS doctrine will end a conversation quickly. Over the years the WTBT has indoctrinated JWs with layers of BITE control defenses. It could take years to deprogram "Spiritually Stong" (non-thinking) JWs unless you can get help from their authentic personas. You can help a JW's authentic persona to become stronger by removing the BITE control protective layers, getting them to talk about what bothers them about the WTBTS and/or other JWs in a safe environment, by helping them to critically think for themselves, and helping them to turn off their cult personas by talking about routine non-JW subjects that they enjoy talking about.

You are doing very well and are very lucky to have two elderettes helping you to control your emotions and to perfect your reverse-witnessing skills so that you can help you JW family critically think for themselves.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

If all the above fails, you could try a slap?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

If all the above fails, you could try a slap?

http://i.imgur.com/h8fApDf.gif

................................................................................. photo mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• undercover
    undercover

She's not there to answer your questions. She's there to convert you to being JW. if you don't want to convert, you're wasting your time conversing with her.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I wish she would come to my house ! I'm an expert at talking (or arguing) with them, had plenty experience with my mom.

If she goes on blabbering gibberish just say, excuse me, you still didn't answer my question and repeat it.

If she doesn't let you get a word in edgewise, I believe you said she's coming to visit you, as in your house, so remind her she's not showing you respect under your roof if she doesn't allow you to ask a question

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

I use a shoe horn. Oh wait, maybe it was a bull horn!

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Quelly and Outlaw make an awesome team!

Faithful, I apologize for not having gone back to read your earlier posts, but I must ask why you are entertaining the idea of a study? Are you trying to help these ladies leave the borg?

(((hugs))) to all

• Bob_NC
    Bob_NC

The other nice people have already said it some form, but I will add to it.

1. Sister K is coming to preach TO you, emphasis on TO you.

2. She is not coming to have a conversation. She is the self-appointed teller; she has appointed you as the listener.

3. She is not interested in anything you have to say. She has already demonstrated that.

There are many stumper questions. You have already asked one that she deflected. Another question to pin her on is:

How and when did the Faithful and Discreet Slave first realize that Jesus had picked them? Press her on it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit