Watched 3 season of game of thrones - I want those 25+ hours of my life back

by will-be-apostate 19 Replies latest social entertainment

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

I love GOT, heathen........ [running at you with pitchfork]

• One Last Kiss
    One Last Kiss

Will be apostate - duuuuuude, you're harshing my Zen, was just settling down to start watching S1! :s now I'm gonna have to catch up with HIMYM instead, gah!

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

I really like GOT, but the "goog guys" do not get much of a foothold. They set the standard in season 1, and even though from the books I knew the Red Wedding was coming.......it is still very unsettling.

To be honest, that is kind of the way it is supposed to be. Season 4 will be less dark. You can't top the red wedding for shock, and the good guys come back......a little.

I have a friend who is always telling me why they liked or didn't like a movie, and it always seems to be not about the writing, acting, cinematography, or general storyline.......but that something happened to a character they didn't like. So if that is your personality (nothing wrong with that), then go watch things that make you feel they way you know they are going to make you feel.

I don't watch alot of TV. I like GOT, and some other HBO stuff including Girls and VEEP......but the most torturous thing I watch now a days is my Lakers play basketball. I have no desire to see "How I Met Your Mother".

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I think this show/series derives its hype and popularity from the young audience it attracts.

Not sure if its just the acting or the poor script but I don't find this made for TV show all too engaging,

a bit over dramatized perhaps.

Could be just my age.

• will-be-apostate
    will-be-apostate

problemaddict, I'm a bit more into movies than that. I don't judge only based on whether my favorite character gets killed or not. I think the only two good characters from the first episode that will survive are Bran and Cantrecallhisname (his little brother). This series is well written and everything but the storyline lacks the "good always wins over the bad" cliche that I'm so used to.

Anyway, I recomend this trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVaD8rouJn0 . It's a lot a fun, obviously spoiler alert.

• Scully
    Scully

Rickon is the younger brother of Brandon Stark.

To the OP: If you think watching 3 seasons was a waste of time, I won't even bother recommending a read of the book series. The author routinely kills off terrific characters - that is just 'life' in Westeros. I just finished the 5th book in the series (waiting for the next one to come out) via audiobook. It was more than 35 hours long.

• will-be-apostate
    will-be-apostate

Here is another funny video on the series xD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXSSBu9uKrM

• BluePill2
    BluePill2

will-be-apostate: for the beautiful breasts of Daenerys Targaryen

First I avoided the series (thinking it was too much fantasy), but after watching season 1, I became hooked. Watched all the episodes in a marathon like you. I absolutely love the series and can't wait for Season 4.

My favorite character is "The Imp", Tyrion Lannister (Peter Dinklage). Witty and great character. I am very happy to see that people of all walks of Life are able to be actors - no matter how they look like or if they have physical problems (like Roy Frank Mitte as Walter "Flynn" White in Breaking Bad - he was diagnosed with cerebral palsy which resulted in permanent brain damage). Great to see such a great actor in this movie.

George RR Martin is known to have a chaotic writing style (if you hated the movie, don't read the books - the script writers for the series had serious problems to put everything in a coherent manner!) and to kill off your favorite characters. He does that in most of his books.

• troubled mind
  • dynamiterose77
    dynamiterose77

The thing to remember when watching, Martin wants you to truely worry about the characters. That is why he fights the "good guys always win"... if they always win... you aren't really invested as a reader/viewer, because you know they will win. He want's you to be truely afraid.

Also, one realizes that though there are villains... very few of the core main characters can truely be considered absolute good or bad, they are each motivated by their own needs. Circe is AWEFUL... but she is aweful because she was forced into a marriage to a man that was in love with a dead woman by her father who wants to ensure that his family is taken care of and yes, that involves power. Ned Stark was really the only character that one could consider truely on the entirely good end of the scale... but honor made him naive in warning Circe and cost him his head. Joffry is just a mess... Jaime, you think is bad at first, but he grows and changes... None grow and change quite as strong as Daenerys...

All in all, it isn't just about blood and the god of tits and wine... It's about people and how they grow and react in situations. It is also filled with extremely strong female characters that one doesn't often see in fantasy genre.

All in all, it isn't for everyone... it can be harsh...and the show has a LOT more sex than the books. But, I love the show..... LOVE.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit