does anyone gave experience with a puppy that nipps/mouths consistently?

by unstopableravens 28 Replies latest social family

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

I got a puppy a week ago, I tryed everything, he mouths a lot, its not aggesive, but he's 3 months and 37 pounds so it does not ticlke lol

• Laika
    Laika

I have no idea, but more importantly, where are the pictures!?

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

I will try to get some uploaded!

• jgnat
    jgnat

http://www.2ndchance.info/trainpup.htm

Consistency is key. Make sure everyone in the household is helping you break this habit. Get in to obedience training early. Have you started with "come"?

• Kensei01
    Kensei01

If the pup is chewing "things" then try lots of chew toys. That's what we've done. If chewing fingers then try shoving them in its mouth, not enough for pain of course, but to make the act uncomfortable and of cours with the requisite firm "no"...and remember not all mouthing is bad. They show affection that way.

Have fun training..it's worth it in the end.

Kensei

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

Jgnat, he sits but with come he just looks at you lol kensei; he has chew toys but he thinks my arm and my familys arms are chew toys lol

• jgnat
    jgnat

My daughter is amazing at training animals. She taught our old cat to sit, come, shake-a-paw....

For come, especially early on, turn your back on the puppy and play-run away, calling its' name and using the command. Puppies want to follow the leader and get in on the fun, and it will run towards you. Reward with success of course. This also helps establish you as pack leader.

Don't repeat the command over and over. The puppy should respond the first time and should not be conditioned to ignore you. If the command doesn't work the first time, switch to something else.

• ablebodiedman
    ablebodiedman

When he bites your hand, grasp a hold of his lower jaw firmly (yes, right around his teeth) and hold it still, while saying; "No".

A puppy will feel very uncomfortable when you do this.

If you hold his lower jaw firmly and keep it still, he will eventually start to whine.

When he whines, release him.

He will associate biting with something very uncomfortable and also come to realize that he is under your subjection.

Genesis 1:26

And God went on to say: "Let us make man in our image, according to our likeness, and let them have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and the domestic animals and all the earth and every moving animal that is moving upon the earth."

abe

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

Jnat/able: both good advise thanks.

• jgnat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit