Are my children in danger of being indoctrinated if I let them spend the night with their JW family?

by Butterflyleia85 31 Replies latest jw friends

• DJS
    DJS

Snare,

A better reponse to mine. I considered that, but if Butterfly sets the rules of engagement I don't see these grandparents respecting them. And considering their need to push their JW beliefs, this may be a non-starter. Butterfly????

• carla
    carla

It is your job as a parent to protect your kids. That means protecting them from physical harm, emotional, spiritual and mental harm to the best of your ability. If this means the grandparents are never, ever left alone with your precious children then that is what you must do even if it hurts your parents feelings.

jw's will NOT honor any agreement about not preaching to your kids. They will lie and justify it, see the AID book and look up their definition of the word 'lie'. You know all about theocratic warfare and all their other nonsense.

Protect your kids.

In the end you may be protecting your relationship with your own children. If they join the cult due to grandparent influence and one day shun you how will you handle that?

• blondie
    blondie

They will lie about preaching to them, lie to the parent, they feel it is the child's everlasting life at ristk. My aunt lied and preached to her non-jw grandchildren and lost all association with them unless one parent was there. They may feel the following principles apply to disregarding your requests. I know of many jws who did disregard.

*** w60 12/1 p. 735 Questions From Readers ***

Likewise, the unbelieving father, since he is the head of the house, may dictate the religion of the children. However, in view of the fact that the mother is responsible for the conduct of the children in the absence of the father, she must inculcate in them right principles and may witness to them as opportunity affords. In cases where the husband is severely opposed, she may not be able to take them in the service or to the meetings, if he forbids it. But she can continue by various means to teach the children Bible principles and truths. If the children ask questions, she has the right to answer them.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Butterfly

Yes, your children are in danger. Never leave them unsupervised

They may get a hold of some matches " Nu light " doctrines

and eventually burn your house down

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

Okay, guys. How about early doors at the pub???

No, seriously. My son doesn't come to church with me. He goes to rugby or a mega bike ride with a pub lunch at the end.

A pub lunch.

A Sunday pub lunch.

Roast beef, roast potatoes.......Red wine.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My JW relatives always witnessed to me. Perhaps they did not before I could speak. My mom always asked about it. When I said "yes, she did not say anything. My mom never witnessed to me. She just taught me what to say so there would not be a family feud. My relatives were nice. It was their life. They had nothing else. When I was a teen, I would tear up b/c they were so limited. Their social skills were minimal. I always brought up the weather or the fish tank.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

Definitely keep them away from overnight or Sunday visits or being there

when you are not there. Blondie is right - they will just lie and turn your

children against you. But they need to see alternatives as well.

To the Atheists here- children are not natural Atheists, they are

magical thinkers, and keeping them from ALL religious information

will make it all the more appealing to them - I am an expert on this

because both my parents were ATHEISTS !! Yeah thats right, my father'was

a scientist and Univeristy Professor and we had zero religion, nothing, nada,

no exposure at all to anything religious, which made me defenseless to the

appealing stories of the New World when I was 14-15 years old. Had I had

any other religious information and especially from a a group with lots of activities

this would have given me a huge advantage. Philosophy, the meaning of life,

its all very interesting to young people, so you grumpy old atheists offer nothing,

to fill this void. Some non religious kids become Harry Potter fans, or Dungeons and

Dragons, or something magical, people seek a spiritual inner life.

Atheism; is for the old the angry the hopeless and the cynical. Thats not kids.

There are lots of Social Humanitarian Churches that don't give a hang what

you believe and no one is indoctrinating anyone there.

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Butterfly - I learnt early of the risks when I found my wfie had been reaching My Bible Storeis with my son without my knowledge. I told him they were stories and they weren't true and told him 'You tell me if Mummy starts reading this to you', which he did, when she did so after I had told her the stories and pictures were designed to make him scared and embed phobias and were unsuitable for children and so I took it away. They can't help themselves - they think they are saving the child and they do it to manage their own phobia that their grandchild will not be baptized and will be destroyed at Armageddon. They rationalize that this justifies lying and hiding what they are doing. Your parents cannot be trusted and the indoctrination uisng fear is very powerful for kids. Zero tolerance is the only way to go. Fraz

• KateWild
    KateWild

Butterfly,

Teach your kids to think critically. If your mother shows them Caleb cartoons, watch with them also and ask the questions about throwing away a toy, teach them this is wrong to throw away toys.

I have no contact with my son, so to encourage contact would be my only advice. Don't let WT divide your family into us and them, work through it and have ground rules.

Kate xx

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

Wow such awesome advices!! Love you guys!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit