Understanding the differences between doing a good job and doing a perfect job

by Terry 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

For anything to be perfect, there has to be a standard in place regarding its function.

I love to use the analogy of a dinner fork.

If your standard for eating is the conveying of food from plate to mouth, a fork is a

perfect

utensil for eating peas, fries, etc.

However--It is NOT worth much for eating soup! (Go ahead, put it to the test.)

If you are manufacturing a bullet proof vest, the standard of perfection has to involve a product bullets of a certain calibre don't penetrate.

Wouldn't you agree?

The manufacturing of the straps might have a few flaws in stitching.

The color dye might have variation.

The sewing of the tag might be crooked.

In other words, imperfection up to a point of malfunction would be GOOD enough without literally being PERFECT (as in: without flaw.)

(Go ahead, put it to the test.)

If you are packing your own parachute for a jump, the standard of perfection would be the fully functioning release and full billow when the rip cord was pulled.

The silk or nylon might have flaws in weave and it would still function.

There might be a few moth holes.

The cord might have knots in it.

The pull handle might be rusty.

But, if the chute unfurls and blossoms and the strap stays on your body--you're good to go!

(Go ahead, put it to the test.)

_____________________________________________________________________________

Why did I say all that?

In order to say this: I GET TIRED OF HEARING JW'S SAY JEHOVAH CREATED ADAM and EVE "perfect."

If we use the scriptures as correct communication of the "facts" of creation (remember, I said IF) what do we read?

"And He saw that it was _____________ (Choice: GOOD or PERFECT)?"

In view of our examples above, what was God's standard of "perfection" for the human?

The very first: Go ahead, put it to the test . . . FAILED!

So, let's stop and review.

Here are the possibilities:

1. God's standard was obedience but his manufacturing job wasn't perfect. (The standard was not met.)

2. God's standard was free choice no matter what and his standard was met.

If God said "It IS GOOD" and man fails how can JW's assert man was created perfect?

The logical flaw is demonstrated in OUTCOME of test.

Tossing in the idea of human "free choice" is silly.

What designer would build in the deliberate FAILURE against standard by giving the product control over that failure?

Imagine manufacturing an automobile tire than can self- choose to blowout.

Had man been created with the INSTINCT to decide the best decisions there would only have been best behavior and best outcome.

What good is creating anything with the built-in ability to fail??

• Aroq
    Aroq

This is something I have talked abotu with my Wife. How could Adam be perfect if he failed?

Impossible

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

Terry, would you say it was like building the Titanic?? Saying it was unsinkable, like. Unsinkable until it hit an iceberg.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

What the WTS tries to do is form people into perfect indoctrinated sales representatives for their publishing house .

Adam and Eve still had to pee and wipe their ass after a dump, walk on bare feet cutting and bruising them, deal with

the sun and temperate variations.

So lets put this perception of perfection into actualization of facts.

Another point worth considering, if Adam and Eve were prefect until Satan came around and persuaded

Eve to eat the fruit, why did god punish Adam and Eve if they had no idea what sin was prior to eating

the fruit because they were both perfect ?

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Well Terry, there you go again, using logic over emotion!

No, perfection never made sense. Neither did a talking snake. How could perfect thinking with perfect brains and perfect understanding be tricked or fooled by a talking snake? Why would a perfect Angel go rogue? Why would he appear as a snake?

Everyone knows that terrible things take place in fairy tales, but there's always: "And they lived happily everafter" at the end of every story. Fairytales.

Don't know why the story (dent in the bread pan) about passing on sin made sense at the time. Fairytales.

Anyway... 20 years later...

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

You are using perfect in the modern sense. I found out b/c I used it this way in front of a priest. The Bible's use of perfect is not without flaw. Perfect once meant complete. I reread several scriptures and the older definition makes much more sense. It also keeps Jesus human which is important in Christian theology. The Book of Common Prayer uses perfect in the older sense. It would be silly if it meant without flaw. Most of the words in the Book of Common Prayer are slightly dated. It took a while to understand but now I prefer the older usage.

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

Don't forget the perfect angels also failed.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Indeed, the Titanic claimed it could not be sunk. Prudent people do not make such claims b/c it invites trouble. People wrote newspaper columns about how the owner of the Titanic was tempting nature.

• Bob_NC
    Bob_NC

But only 1/3 of the angels failed. :)

Humans 100%. But it's all "good".

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Bob,

I don't know what your point is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit