Are you a good person?

by Xanthippe 40 Replies latest jw friends

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Remember that jws use specific scriptures to twist meanings and/or point to things they don't really mean...and unless they (and all xian religions) can convince you that you are a Sinner, and therefore "bad", they won't have any congregants.

Worship should be for giving gratitude for Life and the beautiful things of creation, if you believe in god or a creator. Worship should have nothing to do with feeling guilty all the time, not measuring-up, believing you are bad, etc.

If you believe god is love and that we are created in god's image, then think about this: what loving parent would look at his/her child every day and say You Don't Measure Up, You Are Bad, You Need to Beg Me for Forgiveness, etc.?

Pretty sure that's emotional abuse.

If we think it's wrong for parents to do it, why would god? Makes no sense. Please don't define your sense of self by someone else's odd reasoning on selected scriptures.

Here's the hardest thing you'll ever do: learn to love and value yourself. Do that remembering that you were not created to be punished but that you deserve to live a beautiful life.

(((((HUGS)))))

• finally awake
    finally awake

I am mature enough to recognize and admit that most of what I do is done out of pure self interest, although I do have a streak of "do unto others as you would have them do unto you". But honestly, when it comes down to the level of self preservation, there aren't many people I would sacrifice myself for. I don't think I'm a bad person though.

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

I have an passionate disdain for questions like this (and the thousands of posts asking something similar each year).

“Good” is a extremely subjective allocation and anyone who bestows such upon themselves is purely and shamefully arrogant. Because of the subjective nature of the simplistic term, it would be OTHERS around us who would make the determination if one is “good” or not, not we ourselves

So you ask the question “Are you a good person?” I don't know... I have to ask all my friends and get back to you.

Do I view myself as a good person or do I attempt to be a good person? Not particularly. I view myself as a decent and just person first, and sometimes to achieve that balance one cannot be “good” 100% of the time. Also, I seem to have found a niche with good people where I am bad so they do not have to be. My physiological response to an honest heart is to help them in whatever way they need... and sometimes that means walking over to the dark side for them. I don't mind that. In fact, I find a lot of joy both in exploring dark areas of the planet AND helping out those who beam light.

The fluctuation makes me neither good nor bad... I just... AM.

• never a jw
    never a jw

Hell no, I am not innately good. I am only human. I am selfish, egocentric and proud. But I have been trained to be good, or rather act good since birth by society's dogmas and rules. There's few out there, however, who are born good. They are our leaders who keep us from self destruction. I believe my 14 year old son belongs to this category.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I have an passionate disdain for questions like this (and the thousands of posts asking something similar each year). - BackseatDevil

Really? I haven't seen any.

Do I view myself as a good person or do I attempt to be a good person? Not particularly. I view myself as a decent and just person first, and sometimes to achieve that balance one cannot be “good” 100% of the time.

You see I find this interesting because you're describing yourself as decent and just but not always good. I'm having a problem with all of these words, these labels. Can't you see that? Haven't you read the thread? I am not saying I'm a good person, are you? I'm saying can someone explain to me what they think a good person is because I'm not sure anymore. The word good, the concept of goodness does not compute for me anymore.

The fluctuation makes me neither good nor bad... I just... AM.

Exactly the place where I am at the moment. People just are what they are, concepts of being good or bad are now striking me as weird.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Why aren't humans good? I assume they are. When I was a preteen girl, self sacrifice was everything. Being a caregiver the most impt thing a woman could do. I wanted to be a nurse with the World Health Organization. Perhaps some of teen girl books are healthy. I would cut the supply. Women can be many things. You take care of yourself before you rescue others. I wonder if preteen girls today even read those books. Prince Charming always arrived.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

mynameislame, yes it is tricky. How much should you try and help others? I like your thoughts about Scrooge, perhaps he was just guilty of being grouchy, although I think there was more to Dickens' stories. Much more social commentary. There was a huge amount of poverty in Victorian England and an enormous gap between rich and poor. Have you read Hard Times? I like that you say there is no such thing as selfish, it's true that what drives our actions are gaining pleasure and avoiding pain.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I always remember to put the toilet seat down for my wife.

Rub a Dub

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

When I was a preteen girl, self sacrifice was everything...You take care of yourself before you rescue others. - Band

I love the old joke, self sacrifice is all very well but what's in it for me.

On the other hand....sometimes doing something for someone else makes us feel better so it's win-win. We were made to feel as JWs that helping others always had to be selfless, altruistic, give until it hurts. Why? I'd rather give until it feels great and then when it doesn't feel good anymore, stop. What's wrong with that?

I always remember to put the toilet seat down for my wife. - Rub a Dub

Rub a Dub, lol. A good way to end a discussion on trying to understand a will o' the wisp concept like goodness.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I am a good person - I am also warm and cuddly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit