Anyone Else Feeling Forced to Go to the Memorial?

by PaintedToeNail 19 Replies latest jw friends

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

I refuse to go to any meetings, assemblies, conventions, special talks or the like...however, I get coerced into going to the Memorial every year. Why? Because it keeps the peace at home with hubby and also makes my parents, who live elsewhere, have hope that I will come to my senses and become an active witness again. There is no chance in hell of that happening, but it prevents the ties to my family from being severed. I hate the hypocrisy involved.

Just today while speaking to my mom, said "You are going to the Memorial, aren't you?" When I answered "yes", the relief in her voice was obvious.

One of the ironic things about this whole scenario is the fact that all of us have witnessed lots of people coming to the hall for the Memorial, and never stepping foot into the Hall until the next year's Memorial. Nothing ever comes of people going to the Memorial. I've never heard of anyone deciding to study or get baptized because they sat through it...so why does every one get so excited? It never made sense to me when I was in, and it makes even less sense now that I'm out.

• Clambake
    Clambake

I don’t know if anyone is familiar with Satanism or Satanic metal but the whole idea of the upside down cross or drinking blood is to mock God.

The whole memorial seems to making a mockery of Christianity. The whole thing feels more like a marilyn manson concert to me. Last year then they started to pass the bread and wine I just sat in the bathroom for 20 minutes. It really got too disgusting for me.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

Not me. Most people who show up once a year, do it for the same reason you do it - the families. It keeps the family off their backs. But the sad thing in my opinion is the way you look when you go. For all intents and purposes, by showing up you are telling everybody "Hey i know i'm wrong and you guys are right, but i'm just not strong enough to keep up wish such high standards".

That is why i stopped attending. I couldn't stomach that idea any longer.

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

Not since my mother died but before that yes. My sister in law told me she is going for her mom and sons.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

redvip2000-Unfortunately, I need to keep the peace in my family. I've never felt that it makes it look like I'm telling everyone that I'm wrong and they are right, because I ONLY go to that. It is more like getting roped into going to a talent show at an elementary school, you don't want to be there and neither does anyone else, but you go because your kid is in the show.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Yet the jws see those who only attend the memorial as "weak" ones who are either to be pitied or studied with.

I had more peace in my family when I stopped attending the memorial, it was like a final decision so they quit bugging me to go to meetings too. No more jw jabber!

• kokyong.soon3
    kokyong.soon3

Let me share my experience. My sister is inactive. I notified the elder that I invite my sister to the memorial. The elder's reply is that only the elder can do the invite. See the amount of control!

• jam
    jam

That is the worst meeting to invite someone, they don't have

a clue what is going on. People are thirsty, they need a drink.

You invite them and don't offer a little wine and bread, rudeness.

I remember inviting my sister years ago and afterwards, she

said what was that....LOL

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I'm having the same issue, do I go or not?? I told the elders I was born again, so I guess if I go I need to partake. When I told them this i was convinced they got the whole mediator thing wrong and we should all partake. Now I don't believe the bible is the word of god so now what to do??? I have faded down to maybe 1-2 meetings a month but will not be going to any meetings any longer. So maybe this memorial meeting will be my last and I'll drink down the whole glass to make up for all the years I didn't. Not sure what to do.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Ugh. Yes.

My mother is making sure she comes to whatever memorial we decide to go to. My wife.....on her own personal journey out.....is not ready to be the former JW that doesn't go to memorial. Its too big of a jump. So....I will go.

Probably to a hall a distance away, to meet my parents there, and be done with it. My nother is old, and is doing what she thinks is right. She isn't shunning me.....but shes thinking about it. This is more for my wife than it is for my mother. It is just to much of a jump for her. I guess we will see about next year.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit