Why don't Born Again Christians include themselves as "Cults"?

by booker-t 41 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

I don't think there is anyone on this thread that really understandswhat the "born again" concept is. - Villiagegirl

I was a born-again christian for 9 years. I was regularly preaching in a medium sized church in the last few years.

in born again churches you are not generally ostracised for disagreeing with the teachings - Laika

Dissent is not tolerated in any evangelical church.

Christianity has been a cult since day 1

• cofty
    cofty

the believer receives a new and perfected spirit that cannot sin - Perry

Wow. Extraordinary arrogance masquerading as humility.

Can you imagine living with somebody whose religion teaches them that nothing they ever do is wrong?

• cofty
    cofty

Its about oneness in the universe, a body connected not about forgiveness of sins or lack of accountability. - Villiagegirl

That must be fun but it is a gospel entirely of your own invention. Here are a few sermons from just the first few chapters of Acts...

Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins.

Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord

God exalted him to his own right hand as Prince and Savior that he might bring Israel to repentance and forgive their sins.

All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.”

“Therefore, my friends, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. 39 Through him everyone who believes is set free from every sin

• Laika
    Laika

Dissent is not tolerated in any evangelical church.

What used to happen to dissenters in your church?

• cofty
    cofty

There were no dissenters. An evangelical church is founded on a common understanding that the bible is the literal word of god. If anybody doubts that they would be rejecting everything the church stands for.

I remember once discussing with my pastor that I had been reading about open theism. He was obviously disturbed by it and discussed it with a visiting big-name preacher from Northern Ireland. He made sure to condemn the idea very loudly from the pulpit.

There is no formal disfellowshipping arrangement but peer pressure and group-think is very powerful.

• Laika
    Laika

Yes, that was inappropriate/cultish. I hope you called him on it.

• cofty
    cofty

I left and started on the road to a rational worldview.

• DJS
    DJS

Booker-T (and the MGs??),

Many BACs believe as you state, that Jesus washed their sins away and no matter what vile things they do they are 'saved.' That really has a kind of appeal, now doesn't it!! But a lot of obese people don't think they are even fat, much less obese, so it isn't surprising that no religion wants to admit its a cult. Our society has made the word cult into a very bad thing; Hollywood has certainly helped.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

What is a Born Again Christian? or is it Born-Again Christian?

Is it one who was a Christian, then left then returned?

Or something else.

I believe that term only applied to Israelites born before 33ce and then became Christians.

No one today can be "born again"

• barry
    barry

I don't really know any born again christians in fact all christians are born again when they first believe. What denomination are these born agains?

Even in Aminianisn there is the belief in 'perserverance of the saints ' where a christian may be out of fellowship with Christ through sin but is still saved. In the Arminian tradition a christian can only be lost by the rejection of the saviour.

Calvinism on the other hand is the belief in TULIP. which includes Unconditional Election the belief we are selected by God through no reason of our own. This belief also stated there is limited atonement only for the saints and also stated the perserverance of the saints which is once saved always saved.

Once saved allways saved is very common in the christian church

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit