Ding Dong . . .

by ABibleStudent 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

H'mmm, it is almost 11:00 AM on a Wednesday. I wonder if it is a JW.

To the best of my knowledge the following happened, but I did get a little excited during our intial conversation and what transpired later so I may not be recounting the facts correctly.

I went downstairs with my trusty Sharpie in my pocket to answer the door. At the door there was an older (~75 year-old) man in a suit and appeared to be in good health. I wondered if I should invite him in or just write a reputable website on the WTBTS propaganda.

He apologized for sticking an invitation in my door, asked if he could give me an invitation to a Memorial, and continued talking without saying that he was a JW or that he representated the WTBTS.

I felt a little chill blowing through the front door, so I asked the man if he was cold. He said thank you, but that I was the last condo that he was going to stop at because he only had one invitation left. He said something about the WTBTS has been around for 100 years, so I corrected him and said it has been around for about 130 years. He looked like he had the deer-in-the-headlight look, but than used the thought-stopping platitude that he had researched the WTBTS's history. I should have pressed the point, but didn't.

He continued to talk and asked to hand me the invitation. So, I asked him if I could give him something in return. He declined with an excuse that since he was coming to my door to give me something that he was not going to accept anything from me. At this point I knew that it was pointless to continue the conversation, so I said no thank you. He left.

I came upstairs to post my encounter on JWN and then thought about picking up the invitations that had been left on my neighbors doors and leaving them at the Memorial with www.jwfacts.com and www.freedomofmind.com printed on them. I still haven't decided if I will leave them at the Memorial, because I could feed into JWs' persecution complexes.

While going around picking up invitations, the same man asked me if I knew what I was doing. He was in a king-cab truck that was driven by a younger man in his 30's. The old man quoted some scripture to justify that what I was doing was wrong. I asked him why he wasn't following God's greatist commandment. He retorted with what was God's name (another thought-stopping platitude).

The young man asked if I was picking up the invitations. I said that yes I was. The young man said to stop it, and I said no. It was ok for them to belong to a dongerous cult, but I did not want my neighbors to join a dangerous cult.

The old man asked if I knew what was the definition of a cult. I said that I was not talking about a cult. I was talking about a dangerous cult and that he did not know what were the characteristics of a dangerous cult like he did not know that the Watchtower was founded in 1878 when he was at my door.

We talked a little more since the young driver did not appear to want to end the conversation quickly by driving off as much as the old man was trying to roll up his window to end the conversation. After a about 30 seconds of more talking, they drove off to place more invitations on another block.

I will continue to pick-up invitations soon, since I wanted to cool-down and I did not want to cause them any more anxiety.

I know, I screwed up. I am not good at confrontation. I did ask a few questions, but I do need to practise more to maintain my cool. I will never get good at confronting JWs only once a year. I need to do better at pressing topics that cause confusion in JWs and practise overcoming thought-stopping platitudes.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

I know how you feel - I almost "lost it" in the KH car park when an older brother was trying justify the Org's lie that Romans 6:7 is talking about a person's physical death!!

I actually raised my voice a bit much and told him to read verses 2,4,6,8,10, & 11 to get the true context - it's a figurative death to one's former life course!

I told him a 14 year old kid could read it and discern the truth!!

Frustrating, isn't it??

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

Rob,

You did well. Peace be to you.. you help people so much!! Whatever you do, good, bad, messup or not, you did something!! And that's what counts...

A big hug my friend!! THANK YOU for all you do, for me and so many people here at JWN!!

ILT

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

The Searcher and ILoveTTATT, thank you for reading and for your kind words.

My frustration is from my lack of thinking on my feet - it sucks! JWs are not allowed to critically think for themselves, so I feel compasion for them. I know how to recognize confusion in a JW and to continue to ask more simple questions, and how to overcome most thought-stopping platitudes when I write on JWN, but I do not do it very well when asking JWs simple questions.

Robert

P.S. - My hunt turned up more than 50 invitations. Some of the invitations were blown from under a mat or out of a door jam and laying on the ground. I plan to write an email to the complex's property manager informing them of the situation.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

Robert, it can be hard dealing with JWs at the door because there is anxiety. I don't think you handled this in the best way, in my opinion.

Going around picking up invitations so your neighbors don't see them, is just as bad as when the watchtower removes old literature from the Watchtower CD so that JWs don't see them.

Truth doesn't need to be protected that way. Leave the invitations alone. You are not giving your neighbors enough credit here. No silly invitation is going to convince a reasonable person that the Watchtower is God's organization when you consider all the facts.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi redvip2000, I agree with you that I did not successfully achieve my goal of planting seeds of doubt in JWs, but at least I helped to make the complex neater looking. I wished that the JW just said that he was cold and I would have offered him some tea and girl scout cookies to delay him from passing out more phamplets. I wish that he would have accepted my offer of giving him a gift in return of www.freedomofmind.com written on the Memorial invitation. I wish that I hadn't been confronted about picking up the Memorial invitations from my neighbors by the JWs. I wish that I could have asked better questions of the JWs when I was confronted.

Since the condominium complex I live in has no soliciting signs at street entrances, JWs should know not to solicit door to door in the complex. While I was picking up the Memorial invitations I was also considering picking up other advertisements from real estate professionals that were left under mats or near front doors - loose papers make the complex look trashy. Since most people in the complex don't really use the front door because they enter their condo from the garage/carport in the back, papers will collect around front doors.

What would you have done that would have been more effective? What have you done to successfully plant seeds of doubts in JWs or protect non-JWs from being recruited into the WTBTS?

Robert

• scary21
    scary21

When you say "can I give you something in return" and JW's say NO....well, I just think that is soooo rude. How do they know what you're going to give them

.a little prayer card, a book mark with a bible scripture on it.....or maybe some carrots from your garden. What a turn off!

It would kind of hurt my feelings and piss me off at the same time. Just take it and throw it away, just like the house holder will do with the WT stuff.

Both could just throw the other persons crap away and everyone is happy .

Some times things just don't go the way you play them out in your mind. After all is said and done it sounds like there were some comical aspects to the scene.

Ok I have strange humor. But a least your nieghborhood is cleaner. LOL

Sherry

• MissMyHarley
    MissMyHarley

When you ask can I give you something in return and they say NO. Stop, look very sad at them and say, my spouse has passed and I recieved quite a sum of money and I was going to write you a check. Shut the door and smile you just mind-f#cked them.

MMH

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

@ scary21, What transpired was kind of funny in a Keystone Cops kind of way. Oh well, compared to someone with lots of JW family and friends may be I am lucky that I do not have plenty of opportunities to interact with JWs.

@MissMyHarley, LOL. Thanks for the laugh!

Robert

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Robert - I also find it almost impossible to maintain my cool when having discussions with Witnesses who knock on the door - I think it is a function of the way they talk over you and change the subject as soon as you start to make any headway. Good effort though on being a thoughtful neighbour and picking up the memorial invitations. Fraz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit