roscoe

Job: A Comedy of Justice. Robert A Heinlein

• SecretHeart11
    SecretHeart11

Bump

thanks Iown mylife & roscoe!

• kaik
    kaik

I seldom read fictions, but I do read a lot about history or politics. My recent good book was Fatal Purity from Ruth Scurr about M. Robespierre and the notion behind the French's revolution Terror. Last summer I read about life of Mmd. DuBarry, mistress of Louis XV who was guillotined in 1793. Very interested about social classes in the 18th century, corruption, sex life in the French court and rise and fall of this poor woman. I generally pick some event that I find interesting and read a lot about it and than move onto other object. When we had 1600 year anniversary of sacking of Rome by Goths I read City of God by Augustine and History of Goths by Herwig Wolfram.

My father was a vivid reader, he collected over 2500 books and read every single of them. My elders complained that they were not good literature, but my father never became JW and had large collection of books related to lives of saints and catholic church. I think he got hold of them during the 1950;s when communists were sizing monasteries in Czechoslovakia and trashed many libraries. After his death we donated a lot of books away. Elders were very happy about it and they always seems to browse around our library at home to see what not good literature is there.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Hi you're welcome, SecretHeart11, I like hearing suggestions for interesting reads so this thread is great. LittleRockguy, you are the first person I have heard of who liked Taylor Caldwell other than myself! I read Captains & Kings in my 20s and it is unforgettable. I still remember how I felt at the ending.

I loved The Count of Monte Cristo, read it so many times. Also Centennial by Michener.

Marina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit