East of Eden & Other Great Books

by SecretHeart11 14 Replies latest social entertainment

• SecretHeart11
    SecretHeart11

Given my new, unincumbered state of mind, I am rereading a few favourites and ones I haven't read before. I'm reading East of Eden again and have Hey, Nostradomus! and 1984 next on the list (never read it!). Any more suggestions? I can't read enough.

• SecretHeart11
    SecretHeart11

And let me share two Steinbeck quotes I know a lot might appreciate:

"And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good"

“This I believe: That the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual.”

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

Captains and the Kings by Taylor Caldwell. Another interesting book by her if you can find a copy of it is The Devil's Advocate written in 1952, which is similar to 1984.

LRG

• SecretHeart11
    SecretHeart11

Thank you LittleRock! Appreciate the suggestions, I will check out my library to see if they have them! :)

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

I have not read any Taylor Caldwell book that I didn't like. Most of her books have been out of print for years. Some are available in Kindle format, however Testimony of Two Men and Dear and Glorious Physician are now back in print.

LRG

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

I really enjoyed 1984. Joy Castro's book was the first "apostate" book I read and then the "Girls guide to homelessness" bu Brianna Karp. They were both great and quite touching.

Now, I'm on a Dawkins, Hitchens, Sam Harris kick. I also joined an art history book club, which has been a wonderful and enlightening experience.

• scary21
    scary21

I love East of Eden....one of my favs. I love true crime so anything by Ann Rule.......read it all . Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer(more true crime with the Mormans} and my all time fav true crime " Devil in the white city " by Erik Larson.......takes place at the Chicago worlds fair in the late 1800's Goes back and forth how they built this White city and a monster who was killing women that came to the fair. You will feel like you are there.

Loved the book Water for Elephants but not the movie. Cane River by Lalita Tademy is good. That was a Oprah book.

A MUST read is Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. It's a long long long book, but it's a thinking persons book that everyone should read. For sure Atlas Shrugged and East of Eden are both in my top 10. I have 16 books from the library right now, all ok, but nothing to recommend. lol

Sherry

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

1984 is a dense book, but well worth the reading, and it will leave you scratching your head because the resemblances between the police-state described there and the WTS organization is mind-blowing.

Eden

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Ah, East of Eden...such a beautiful book. Steinbeck is my favorite author.

I recommend Every Man Dies Alone by Hans Fallada

http://www.amazon.com/Every-Man-Dies-Alone-Novel/dp/1935554042

It is the story of Germans living in Germany under Hitler who want to resist the Natzi government, but to do so would mean death and an end to their resistance. They try to devise a way to secretly resist and encourage others to resist. The unbelievable control of the the government and the fear of stepping out of line reminds on of the novel 1984 and of course, of the Jehovah's Witnesses organization.

The book was writen by a German who lived through that time and is a story based on a couple he knew. This is a really great book that makes you think about many things.

From the New Yorker:

Fallada wrote this novel in twenty-four days in 1947, the last year of his life; he was addicted to drugs and alcohol, and had just been released from a Nazi insane asylum. The story is based on that of an actual working-class Berlin couple who conducted a three-year resistance campaign against the Nazis, by leaving anonymous postcards at random locations around the city. The book has the suspense of a John le Carré novel, and offers a visceral, chilling portrait of the distrust that permeated everyday German life during the war. Especially interesting are the details that show how Nazi-run charities and labor organizations monitored and made public the degree to which individuals supported or eschewed their cause. The novel shows how acts that at the time might have seemed “ridiculously small,” “discreet,” and “out of the way” could have profound and lasting meaning.

• SecretHeart11
    SecretHeart11

Thanks so much everyone!

Scary21, you've tapped into my guilty pleasure, true crime! And you've reminded me that I want to read Atlas Shrugged, so thank you! So many good suggestions. I also have a fascination with "secret" organizations (Mormans, Free Masons, JWs). I read about the Banner of Heaven book recently and will add that to my list for sure.

EdenOne, I'm really enjoying 1984 so far!

Lisa BObeesa, I get goosebumps everytime I read EoE! Can't wait to read your suggestion, it sounds really interesting!

gypseysam, my first "apostate" book was CoC and tHen ISOCF, I will see if I can get the eBook format, don't want to upset my huaband if he finds them around. Love true life stories! Especially when I can relate so easily.

littlerock, I just checked online and they've only got Testimony so I will check that out and I'll have to do some searching for the others.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit