FUNERAL OUTLINE

by freeatlast36 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BU2B
    BU2B

When I first started lurking here, this subject sickened me and helped me wake up even more. It is just so cold, utilitarian, and soulless. Im sure plenty of active JWs are bothered by this as well. They just have not reached their tipping point yet

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

JW funerals are very homogenized, one size fits all affairs. They sort of hijack the whole thing,even if it's not held at the Kingdom Hall. The main thing is that your Dad enjoyed his life and had people who loved him and that he also loved, till the end. Sounds like he did just that.

• wifibandit
  • Londo111
    Londo111
    Just in time for Prince...
  • freddo
    freddo

So now may include an interview?

That will work well in the UK at the local crematorium ... or even better, at the graveside!

When I gave a funeral talk I hardly used the outline - never mentioned Adam and Eve - and I believed that if the GB can have whole Watchtower articles to "eulogize them" then little sister faithful for 60 years can have a eulogy too!

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

This letter basically says,

"It appears we have been offending potential recruits by not mentioning the deceased so... Mention the deceased."

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

I find the comments at the bottom of the outline and the letter very telling.

I am glad I did the right thing and made those Talks about the PEOPLE who had died, and about comfort for the family, and NOT a recruitment speech.

• suavojr
    suavojr

It is time for an update:

Re: Revised Funeral Discourse Outline

TO ALL BODIES OF ELDERS

Re: Revised Funeral Discourse Outline Dear Brothers: The Funeral Discourse (S-32) outline has been revised, and the new version has been posted on jw.org. The revision includes adjustments to the body of the outline and to the instructions for the speaker. The instructions now allow the speaker to include throughout his talk encouraging lessons from the faithful example of the deceased. Please use the revised outline when delivering funeral discourses. The revised outline is intended to help speakers deliver funeral discourses of greater warmth and comfort to the audience while still giving a fine witness that honors “the God of all comfort.”—2 Cor. 1:3. Please accept an expression of our warm Christian love.

• suavojr
    suavojr
    Does anyone have the new outline yet?
  • ttdtt
    ttdtt
    The revised outline is intended to help speakers deliver funeral discourses of greater warmth and comfort to the audience while still giving a fine witness that honors “the God of all comfort.”

I don't think the OUTLINE DOES ANY SUCH THING.

In the instructions at the bottom of the outline is where the help comes from.

While not overpraising the deceased, you may use events from his life throughout the talk to show how those in attendance can benefit from his example.

But how many Elders will be able to actually do it? Speaking in complete sentences is a prerequisite - and how many can actually formulate thoughts and words on their own without a script given to them?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit