FUNERAL OUTLINE

by freeatlast36 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• freeatlast36
    freeatlast36

I KNEW IT
    March 28, 2014 at 9:57pm

Ya know, my dad had a very interesting, successful life. That day I entered the funeral home, and was seated 3 rows behind my own mother...I knew something was off. My feelings were a little hurt by then. Nobody seemed to notice that I wasn't sitting with my immediate family. The slide show was nice, I guess. Then the discourse began. This man started talking about MY dad. I didn't even know this guy. I couldn't figure out how, after the many close friends that my dad had over the years, how, this man that did not even know our family, or anything about us, was speaking at my dad's funeral. I met him once, briefly, at the hospital, just days before my dad left this world. He fumbled over the names, unfamiliar to him. I felt like I was the only one looking around wondering what the hell was going on? Did anyone else NOTICE? I was getting angry. Oh yes, I should have known. Here we go! The preaching started...I was transported back to the days of the District Convention..was I not really at MY DAD's funeral? Are there not people I know from our town, neighbors, friends sitting around me? I couldn't believe it! The Jehovah's Witnesses were using MY DAD's funeral to PREACH to the town! How disrespectful, and how far will these people go? I almost got up and walked out. Would anyone even notice?

A few months later, I finally got up the nerve to tell my mom how disappointed I was about how the funeral went. She said that is how Daddy wanted it. Whatever. So today, I find out, by accident, that the SOCIETY of JW's actually have a FUNERAL DISCOURSE OUTLINE that "should be used". And here it is. Here is THE reason my dad's funeral totally sucked and wasn't even about him. Yes, maybe he wanted it that way...he was one of the millions of people so brainwashed by this organization that they cannot even plan their own funeral. I am through being nice about it, not wanting to "offend" anyone. I AM OFFENDED. One day of a person's whole lifetime on this earth that should honor that person, is the day of their funeral. When are people going to wake up? God gave humans brains to USE, not be silent little sheep at the mercy of a bunch of MEN in NEW YORK. I PRAY that the blinders come off, minds are opened to the endless universe from which we have been prohibited! PROHIBITION IS OVER! Don't let this organization control every thought you have and every move you make! I PRAY that MY DAD's Soul is finding the TRUTH and is at peace! And I BELIEVE that his soul is somewhere wonderful, not just DEAD.

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

I think your observations are spot on. Sorry for your experience.
    I was at the JW funeral of a very devout and devoted elder. I don't know who the clown was that gave the talk, he was from his old hall, and the stupid mo-fo couldn't even say the man's last name correctly! His name was Hiatt, and the idiot kept calling him Wyatt. I saw one couple (non Witness) get so mad that they got up and left in the middle of the talk. I didn't blame them one bit.

A few months ago, I went to a very different service, for a woman who was not a Witness, and what a difference it was. It was warm, their was laughter mixed with tears as anecdotes from her life, as well as beloved quirks and pet peeves of hers were remembered. And the place was PACKED with people, people who knew her and who's lives were touched by her. It was celebration of life, not a recruiting speech by some fumble tongued dung-heeled cowboy.

• Poztate
    Poztate

In case some have not seen one. It is all about the WT and beliefs of JW's

The person only has about 7 minutes at the start....sick

FUNERAL DISCOURSE

• REMARKS REGARDING THE DECEASED (Use any that apply and are appropriate.)
    • Details regarding age, birth, when married, and so forth
    • By whom the deceased is survived
    • Dedication record, including privileges of service
    • Exemplary qualities displayed by the deceased (Eccl. 7:1)
    • THE HOPE THE DECEASED ENTERTAINED
    • Worshiped Jehovah, the God of wisdom, justice, love, power
    • Had faith in Jesus Christ (Acts 4:12)
    • Appreciated God's purpose regarding earth (Gen. 1:28)
    • Sure to be realized (Isa. 11:9; 55:10, 11; Rev. 21:4)
    • Why good people die
    • Disobedience of Adam (-Gen. 3:19; contrast with Genesis 2:7.)
    • Offspring inherited death (Rom. 5:12)
    • Condition of the dead
    • Soul is mortal (Ezek 18:4, 20)
    • Dead are unconscious (Ps. 146:4; Eccl. 3:19; 9:5, 10)
    • The resurrection hope
    • Made possible by sacrifice of Jesus Christ (Matt. 20:28)
    • Christ's resurrection a guarantee (1 Cor. 15:22, 23)
    • God uses Jesus to raise the dead (John 5:28, 29)

For the anointed, resurrection is to heavenly life (1 Cor. 15:51-54; Rev. 20:4, 6) "Other sheep" resurrected to life in earthly Paradise (Luke 23:43; John 10:16) Armageddon survivors can hope to see the deceased one again soon Others too are in line for resurrection (Acts 24:15)

WHY IT IS GOOD TO GO TO HOUSE OF MOURNING

Can comfort the bereaved; loss is mutual
    Take to heart uncertainty of life (Ps. 90:12; Eccl. 7:2)
    Makes us think about how we are using our life

HOW WE CAN BENEFIT FROM BEING HERE

• While living, make good name with Jehovah God (Eccl. 7:1)
    • Lay up treasures in heaven (Matt. 6:19-21)
    • One way is to take zealous part in witness work, if qualified (Matt. 24:14; 28:19, 20)
    • In this way and by godly conduct, we contribute to sanctification of Jehovah's name (Prov. 27:11)
    • Resurrection hope an incentive to learn and do divine will(l Cor. 15:58)

( Note: Instead of eulogizing the deceased, use the material in this outline to give a fine witness concerning the truth. Good balance should be observed in this regard. Doctrinal points can be presented as beliefs of the deceased , which served as motivation for him. Purpose of talk is to uphold Jehovah God as a God of love and mercy and at the same time bring comfort to the bereaved. Use of a song such as No. 102 (53) or 187 (93) is optional. A brief prayer at the close is fitting. When arrangement is made to go to the grave, it is well to consider quite briefly the hope through the Kingdom , reading one or two scriptures, such as Job 14:14, 15 and 1 Corinthians 15:5413-57. This service may also be closed with prayer, thanking Jehovah for the resurrection hope, which is of great comfort. The talk need not exceed 30 minutes.)

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

It is worth mentioning that JW spend their entire life not celebrating their birth days so as not to bring undue attention to themselves. They have been reminded all their lives to be humble and not to bring attention to themselves but on the message. And when they die, they do exactly that again.

You are nothing. Even if God loved you soo much that he gave his son for you, You. Are. Nothing.

• grumblecakes
    grumblecakes

As an active witness, i couldnt bear ti attend my moms "memorial" due to this specifically. Its awful.

It does vary a bit depending on the person giving the talk. I once heard abeautiful well balanced memorial talk for a sister, he was a pretty exceptional guy tho.

• Ding
    Ding

Sorry you had to suffer through that.

In death, as in life, it's all about the organization...

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

freeatlast, I'm sorry for your loss.

I hope you have some pleasant memories of your father to comfort you.

Instead of eulogizing the deceased, use the material in this outline to give a fine witness concerning the truth

It's all about the WTBTS. They will use any opportunity to promote themselves. Indeed, they know that people are most easily recruited when they are emotionally vulnerable. From their point of view, a funeral is one of the BEST times to preach!

Let's review: It's a cult!

• freeatlast36
    freeatlast36

Thanks everyone for the support! I should have known that funerals were dictated along with everything else, but it kind of shocked me to learn about the outline! Especially Instead of eulogizing the deceased, use the material in this outline to give a fine witness concerning the truth. !!!

HOW IMPERSONAL!It was very embarrassing, as we live in a small town, and most of the people there were non-jw's just trying to pay respect. The congregation is only about 20 people. In fact, it was the neighbors that organized food for lunch after the funeral, not the congregation! It will be 2 years this summer, and I have been quiet and respectful due to protecting my mom, but I just can't keep it in any longer.

Glad to find forums such as this to talk to people who can relate!

• freddo
    freddo

Recent JW funerals I have attended in the UK have a smaller reference to doctrine and belief and a lot more to do with the person - thank goodness! There is an outline but if you can eulogise or simply spend much time saying nice things about the GB members when they die then why not Bro. Faithful Min. Serv. or Sister Cakemaker (or even Bro. weird but harmless) too?

• Quendi
    Quendi

Wfhen my time finally comes, my friends and family will be spared the outrage of a Witness funeral/memorial service.

Quendi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit