Domestic Violence

by awakenyr2004 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jgnat
  • Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I wonder if they don't fear the man coming after them. Male friends tell me the problem is the woman not wanting help. It is hard to know what to do. I always called the police and stayed physically far away. Once I was a safe distance, I watched what was happening so I could be a witness until the police arrived. My mom, who had been in the same situation, went gung ho one day and attacked the man. My brother had to restrain her.

Every time they pull that women in submission bs, they make another victim. I can't say what is happening today but I would never want an elder involved. I saw in my family how bad men who had truly sinned were back in the good graces after a short time period. One man is worth 1,000 females in their view.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I wonder just how big the problem is amongst the witnesses. I knew one guy who was an elder and honestly you wouldn't have thought butter would melt in his mouth. I always wondered why his kids turned out so bad. Found out latter why he was hitting his wife.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

There is official documentation within the JW's that state that they should call the branch's legal department FIRST and AWAIT INSTRUCTIONS. Reporting is to be done, anonymously from a pay phone.

There are plenty here that have the documents to back that up.

• blondie
    blondie

Bigger than you think. Study up on domestic violence and the psychology behind it and you will find examples of it in every congregation. Do you consider emotional, verbal, spiritual abuse as damaging. What is worse being hurt or seeing someone you love hurt and you're afraid to stop it? DV is much more than physical violence.

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/domestic_violence_abuse_types_signs_causes_effects.htm

I am sure many jws witnessed abuse in many jw families even if not their own. It was all put under the category "we are all imperfect."

I grew up in an abusive home, all types. I can now see it in other families, couples, even in the workplace, a pseudo-family environment.

DV continues because even when people see it, they don't help. If men or women treated people outside their homes, in the community or at work, they could be arrested. We had to have a program about abuse in the workplace because for 5 years, administration had ignored it until it exploded.

So there is more than you can imagine and maybe more that you see and don't recognize it..

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

One of my best friends, jw, kept going to the elders about her non jw sociopath husband bashing her. They just told her to be more submissive and try not to provoke him. Not a word about going to the police or leaving him for her and the kids' safety. Well, the bastard broke her back eventually. She left but now is incapacitated, with two teenage kids. I'm so mad at those elders. They failed in their duty of care for this lady and her kids.

• awakenyr2004
    awakenyr2004

Well i fianally called CPS a little over a week ago. Just waiting for the backlash. This situation is sicker than I thought and even has some elders scratching their heads. They did encourage the victims to call police. A family friend who is an elder also tried very hard to get my family to call police or CPS. I wouldn't be surprised if he or his wife called themselves.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit