Domestic Violence

by awakenyr2004 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• awakenyr2004
    awakenyr2004

Are elders required to report domestic violence to law enforcement? What if children are involved? I am wondering if the elders will report a situation to police or DCFS here in California.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Don't hold your breath. Not likely. Wouldn't want to bring reproach on precious Jehovah.

• awakenyr2004
    awakenyr2004

Thanks, I understand that but I really need to know if they are legally required to do so. This is a very tough situation and I am planning to call DCFS myself. I just need to protect everyone on all sides from a psycho-piece-of-crap before I do it. This person was a peice of crap before and after jdubs entered his life. I hate to say it but I am hoping this person will think the elders called.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Elders cover up DV. Our family was victims of this, like dazed said they don't want to bring reproach on Jehovahs name. It is a big problem in WT and the elders mishandle incidents alot.

This is my story if you have time to watch the youtube it's 35 mins

Kate xx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_uWFKDFMdQ

• awakenyr2004
    awakenyr2004

Of course they call elders on this idiot but not police!!! Unfreaking believable!!!

• zebagain
    zebagain

There is the established process of not calling in the Police over paedophiles so a battered adult is never going to get help.

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

They didn't even cover mentioning it to police back when I reported DV. My daughter was an infant. Fortunately, I packed up and left. One elder mentioned that if I had a chance to leave, take it. The other two used verbiage that made me think it was my Christian duty to stay and set a better example. Oy vey.

In any jw experience I've personally heard, the elders have never promoted or suggested notifying police.

Nor do they consider the children. Something any lurkers should really think about while they support this reLigion.

I hope the situation works out the best it can.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

The ONLY thing elders are required to do is to protect the WTBTS at all costs.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I've written about the domestic violence in my family. When my mom and I went for counseling behind my father's back, she had a direct order to the agency. Never get in touch with JW ministers. Several times the agency wanted to have a JW speak with my father about abuse. She explained in detail her reasoning in excluding them. The agency workers, who work with all religions, never heard of a religion where men were all powerful. If the agency had called the local brothers or Bethel, we would all be dead. My father's actions were independent of the religion but the org provided justification in his mind. Furthermore, as a teenager I heard and saw enough that my father was not misquoting the Witnesses.

• blondie
    blondie

Do you mean are citizens of that state (US laws go by state not federal) required to report. Reporting laws and details vary as to who has to report. If you are asking if the WTS requires its members to report, it depends on what Caesar requires which is why the elders are told to call the WTS Legal Department first before doing anything. Not the spiritual brothers, the Branch Office/Service Desk, but the lawyers.

https://www.childwelfare.gov/systemwide/laws_policies/state/can/reporting.cfm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit