"The Joy of Sect", Simpsons Episode...

by juanvazquez88 17 Replies latest jw friends

• juanvazquez88
    juanvazquez88

Last night, me and my wife were watching some The Simpsons episodes. We both laugh and enjoy that serie. But just in this one, my wife face was serious and even uncomfortable. It was the "Joy of Sect", episode 191 of the 9 season (thanks wikipedia!!) If one of you already see that episode, its not difficult to identify some things that the JW do. The propaganda, the brainwashing, the "you´re free to go whenever you want" (while you´re are exposed, and have to sort a lot of dangers to get free); the "repetitive and meaningless song to program minds", the entire devotion to The Leader (aka GB/F&DS) who knows all; the promise of Bleassing Land, that planet of joy for the followers.

My wife is a DF´d who still thinks that the JW are right. My little efforts to show her TTATT is with this kind of things. I made some commentaries about all resemblances from the sect perspective, i hope that some day, she wake up completly. We have a son, and we agreed about the throw him birthdays parties each year. Thats a start....

• DuvanMuvan
    DuvanMuvan

I've always loved that episode

i think the best thing about the Simpsons for me is that I can enjoy it over and over again as I grow up and i understand more of the jokes.

• Londo111
    Londo111

When I was a JW, when I saw that episode, I was blind to the connection.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

I remember the epidode making me scared, there is a scene when they almost get away but stay for family. I forgot all about seeing this episode, but having seen that image I remember it and I remember it bothered me a lot. I was well aware it looked like our life.

I am actually suprised at how far back that was, I must have been more uncomfortable with the JW's than I realise.

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

Where can I find it? Can you send me a PM? I soooo want to see it!!

• SAHS
    SAHS

I found a link to watch/download the full “Joy of Sect” episode on The Simpsons. It is episode no. 191, which is the 13th episode of season nine.

Apparently it aired on February 8, 1998. “Plot: A cult lures in most of Springfield to toil for ‘The Leader.’ After Marge escapes and has the family deprogrammed, Homer exposes the man behind the spaceship.” – www.watchtvanywhere.me. (I couldn’t find any of it on YouTube other than a 17-second clip, at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4VFGsD4Uhg.)

Here is the link I found:

http://www.watchtvanywhere.me/2012/09/02/the-simpsons-season-9-episode-13-the-joy-of-sect/

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

The Simpsons has some great religious scenes over and over. The rapture was featured prominently too.

I have three favorite parts to this episode.

1) The chant....."The leader is good, the leader is great......we surrender our will, as of this date"

2) Homer isn't taking to the indoctrination like everyone else who is being fed the "low protein gruel" to weaken resolve. They conclude he must be the most powerful mind they have ever come across....or.......(to be read in old school batman opening) na na na na na na na na.....leadeeeeerrr (homer copies this and loves the leader now)

3) After the leader is exposed as a fraud riding a flying bicycle with sacks of money with dollar signs.....groundskeeper willy runs after him yelling "wait leader....Willie still loves ya!"

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The first or second season of the Simpsons, I could not believe it when they ran an episode about the hypocrisy of religious people. My mom and I watched it together. I saw humor. My mother, kicked out of school for flag salute, took it literallly. She was irate. Altho I explained it was humor, she insisted the show was no good. Since I was a teen, I vented about the Witnesses. I don't believe there are enough Witnesses for it to have been a Witness episode. Hypocrisy must be universal.

• frogonmytoe
    frogonmytoe

"Jebus? I don't even BELIEVE in Jebus!"

A quote from another of my favourite Simpson episodes...absolutely no prize for the person to name it.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

That is the one where Homer becomes a missionary in the south pacific to get away from the clutches of the people from PBS who found out homer gave a fake pledge to keep it on the air. "Elmo knows where you live!"

Homer is getting thrown into the plane that is about to take off and says...

"Missionary? But I don't even believe in JEBUS. (plane taking off)

"Save me Jebuuuuuuuussssss!!"

My favorite of all time is when the Christian Science Monitor van breaks down in front of their house.

One of the guys asks the other to hand him a tool so he can change the tire and the guy says.

"No......we will wait for God to jack us."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit