Why do JWs segregate themselves?

by WinstonWigglesworth 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• WinstonWigglesworth
    WinstonWigglesworth

I was wondering today about how JW are not allowed to socialize with wordly people. WHy is this? How can they judge other religions if they aren't allowed to witness religous practises other than their own? My friend is a JW, so to better understand her religion I participated in one of her religious gatherings...yet when I invited her to my church she wasn't allowed. She isn't allowed to socialized with other non JWs but isn't that like me(Christian..United) saying I'm not allowed to go out with my friend because she's Jewish?? What kind of response would I get then?? I'd be socialy outcasted if I said I couldn't meet up with a person cuz they're Jewish or what not... BUT isn't that excatly what the JW are doing??? One final question...Then how do they justify that? Sorry this post is so confusing and scattered, once I get going I can't stop.

• Quotes
    Quotes

Welcome to the board, WinstonWigglesworth.

Your question is valid one. Your are correct, it doesn't make sense and it seems elitist (sp?) and unfair. JWs are never able to "put the shoe on the other foot".

You can think of this as the "tip of the iceburg" with regards to things that don't make sense with JWs.

===========================
    For interesting Watchtower Society literature quotes, complete with references but without any editorial, check out:
    http://Quotes.JehovahsWitnesses.com

• Introspection
    Introspection

Winston, I think Quotes actually put it mildly in describing it as elitist. What you need to understand is that basically JW's are taught to think of their understanding as absolute truth, yet they are told not to go to other churches and such because it may weaken their faith. It's ironic isn't it, if you really do have the absolute truth how can anything shake you? But as it is they tell you it's the bottom line on one hand and on the other they don't want you listening to people of other faiths (but talking their ears off is ok, just one way) because it can be confusing. Of course what this implies is they are not taught to REALLY think or weigh the truth, but JUST believe.

• butalbee
    butalbee

This is a good question.

JW's aren't allowed to co-mingle with us worldly people. We aren't good enough for their perfect religious beliefs(gag). And anyway, when this end of the world comes that they're all looking forward to, oh, so much and this new system is in play, us worldly dudes are dead, they are the only ones that will survive, for that is what their religion teaches them. Yeah, right, a jw in a church--see now they are supposed to find new converts and bring them into the truth, but for them to wander away from the truth by going to another church where they might be enticed by the actual real truth, that is strictly forbidden and emphasized in their brainwashing studies.

• aluminutty
    aluminutty

WW:
    Tres Palabras
    CULT
    MIND
    CONTROL!
    BTW excelent point and insite. What better way is there of retaining adherents then forbidding those adherents -- on punishment of disfellowshiping (excommunication)
    -- from even entering another place of worship?
    If a person is only allowed to be exposed to the truth(tm), then their chances of seeing it as a lie are much diminished. Those who control
    the flow of information, truly do control the masses.
    I'm suddenly struck by the notion that the internet, therefore, is really cool! . . . a gift from God, perhaps? Anyone, me, you, Simon, hell even a fecal
    fetishist, for example, can create a website relating to me, joe public, what they Joe Website owner want, and noone, not even the Witch Power Society,
    or the Christian Conflegration of Jehovah's Whitlesses, can prevent the free exchange of information from taking place. But, alas, it is late, and I digress.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

"Are not allowed"? There is no-one there who has the capasity of not allowing others to do anything. Each and every person is responsible for his own actions. It is the person him/herself who allows others either to or not to allow him/herself to do things. People have only so much control over yourself, which you allow them to have. Living as an "independant" Witness is not hard at all, once you have established towards yourself and towards the others the "set of rules" which you follow.
    The book study conductor calls me to ask for the monthly report, as I did not deliver it to him or in the box at the month's final book study. "No", I say, "I won't deliver it to you; I will stick to the old and established system of delivering it either in the box in the Hall or to the secretary." "OK", he says after a short pause, "I guess there is no need for me to be a go-between." "Correctly", I say. I deliver the reports a couple of months too late, the one for March in May etc., and when questionsed, I say that "I deliver them when I remember, and when I feel like doing it." "OK", they say, "that's OK." You follow your decisions, and the others will let you in peace. You stand towardfs God and Jesus, not men.
    "The only ones to be saved"? I think not necessarily so. The end hasn't come, God has not spoken his judgment, and when he does, I for one dare no way make any prophecies as to will be found where. I do as good as I can, and then let him decide as to the outcome. I burden myself not with fear or premature joy.

• willy_think
    willy_think
    I was wondering today about how JW are not allowed to socialize with wordly people. WHy is this?

Information control.....emotional control......

How can they judge other religions if they aren't allowed to witness religous practises other than their own?

Can't....but the WT said....so it must be true...

My friend is a JW, so to better understand her religion I participated in one of her religious gatherings

Sucker, you went because getting people to the hall is what she does for her "eternal living". lol

She isn't allowed to socialized with other non JWs but isn't that like me....

a little WT tipe quote for you.
    And the answer is, yes man she can't socialize with you, unless she is trying to sell you paradise.

What kind of response would I get then??

You would get a Christian moral response, but don't expect that kind of response from the WT, they are neither Christian nor moral.

Then how do they justify that?

Well, they like to pull bible quotes out of context and applying them as needed. But my favorite is how they insert a deniability of responsibility into there magazines and books. Hell.......... just look at TheOldHippie's post.

The Great and Powerful Oz:

pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
  • TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

I ain't doin'nothin', my friend, but telling how I feel about things and how I apply things. I ain't typical of anything, just of myself, who try in this world to keep carrying the torch of rebellion or not-conforming as I did before becoming a Witness, also after having become one.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Because they are a persecuted little church surrounded by hate filled enemies who want to torture and kill them.
    Thats why they are "seperate". Just like all the other cults. And just like all the other cults they are persecuted by the same enemies.
    Evereyone whose NOT in the cult.

All cults are the same.

• seedy3
    seedy3

Hmmmmm.......... Now I never was told I could not associate with worldly people but........ they encourage you not to, they do not have punishments for having friends that are not JW, however they put forth the attitude that is Us (the JW's) against them (The rest of the World). If you have too much assciation outside of the JW's then you may be a marked one that is considered weak, and will soon not be assciated with your self.

Now on the idea of going to another religious gathering....... Those religions are of Satan........ our is of the true God, so it is ok for you to go to our services, but not ok for me to go to yours.

It is all really a way to hide them from the truths about their Org. If they get too much exposure, then they will learn what it (the WTS) is really is all about. The WTS says it is for their own protection, but it really is for the WTS protection.

I find it interesting that the WT mag, has many, many quotes from supposed "Satanic" (the other religions) Literature, now how do you suppose they get that?? WOW...... the Governing body and the writers of the WT mag are the only ones that can be trusted to read this other religous stuff without being stumbled, I am impressed.

I really feel sorry for most of them.

Seedy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit