Female JW's....No hierarchy here....

by snare&racket 11 Replies latest jw friends

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Despite JW's lying to outsiders about there being no hierarchy in the religion, we all knew there was plenty.

I love that in the real world, by enlarge equality is something we strive for and seek.

That aside, focusing on this forum in paticular, isn't it refreshing to see that the opinion of females, of the youth, of everyone... is as valid and equal as everyone else. I hated the sexist, ageist, authoritarian rule of the Jw's when I was a member.

So females of the forum, how does it feel to have a voice post WT ? I think WT promotes machismo, male chauvinistic and dominated thinking and It is not only illogical and draconian but harmful to a society.

Women are equal to men....welcome to 2014.

Snare x

p.s. Whilst discussing this topic, if the sisters could make cups of tea and bake some cakes, the other side of a soundproof door, it would be much appreciated :P x

• Phaedra
    Phaedra

:::takes napkin off head:::

To have a voice is a fundamental right of all humans.

This site is a great equalizer.

Having a voice is GOOD.

Phae

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Outside of the WTS sexism or equality are down to the individual. Some individuals on this forum are sexist, some are not.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Imagine if there was a rule that every one with blue eyes was inferior, and could never hold any position of authority, and were instructed to be submissive to any brown eye. This is done because thousands of years ago a brown eye claimed God inspired him to make this rule and write it down.

It doesn't matter if the brown eye was dumber than a box of rocks, they were given authority over a blue eye, even if the blue eye was more intelligent and better qualified. Blue eyes were not allowed to do anything other than menial chores assigned to them by brown eyes. They were allowed to make comments, but only if they were comments previously approved by Brown eyes. Blue eyes were told they were valued, but only as long as they remained submissive to brown eyes.

How would you feel if you had blue eyes? Would you be motivated to do your best?

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

snare&racket:

It feels great to have a voice post-JW, however, I had a voice pre-JW. Unfortunately, that was part of my problem in the religion. Too many JWs, unfortunately, have real issues about a single female who has self-confidence, education and career.

I could never wrap my head around this. It gives a description in the old testamet about the capable wife. If anybody bothers to read that account it describes a woman who is no dope and who runs a farm and has to supervise workers, etc. The men back then were very manly but yet they prized this capable woman. She was held up on a pedestal. So, what the hell is the problem with men in the JW religion today?? Is it something in the water?

I realized that none of this was my problem and I just accepted that there would be people there who would resent me.

Even though I have been out of the religion for many years, I hear through the grapevine that things are worse there and they expect and imagine that single women are going to be drudges doing favors or caring for other people's elderly and also the disturbed individuals who have come into the religion in recent years.

Now, it's my turn to run from them.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I was asked if I would be "supportive" of my husband, as in joining his religion. This question baffled me. Wasn't i already supportive? If the two of us took traditional roles in the marriage it would be an unmitigated disaster. In this respect visits with Witnesses is a terrific culture clash.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Women should know their place

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

It was like breathing for the first time when i left the JW's. I imagne when leaving as a female it is twice as empowering.

A ship can't have two captains.......but an organisation can have 8 ? Go kiss my ass !

• BU2B
    BU2B

I am a male and I was never comfortable at age 13 leading the group for FS when there were sisters there who were pioneering for 30-40 years. It just seemed disrespectful to me.. So I guess I was uncomfortable with it all along.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I can't discuss it b/c I am still enraged concerning the status of women in the org. Feminism was just starting its second time when I left the Witnesses and started at a women's college. We were the ones who bred future generations. I walked over to the all male campus. Presidents, Founding Fathers, Admirals, you name it, they graduated from the college. Is one city block going to separate 18-21 year old men and women? Please.

From the time I first heard about the role of women in the society I was angry. My brother could end up at Bethel and be important. I could clean rooms. Paul never meant his words to be construed the way the witnesses do. My father justified severe abuse by quoting how bad women were.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit