Need an ex-elder or someone who knows

by Roberta804 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• JustVisting
    JustVisting

I'm sorry about your MIL's condition. Gingerbread has given accurate info., I would add that the elders will give a JW

funeral TALK in behalf of the baptized family. I had to experience when an inactive (baptized) family member past away and the elders allowed me to give the scripted funeral talk at the funeral chapel even though I have absolutely no priveleges in the congo. I would suggest not giving the standard talk, but rather have several people say a few words about her life, how she helped others and so forth. Just my opinion. I can email you the funeral talk outline if you so choose.

JustVisting

• Make Lemonade
    Make Lemonade

I was an elder for some time. One of the most recent memerial talks I gave was for an unbelieving husband. The wife was a struggling sister. Son had joined the marines corp one year before. He attended the memorial in his full dress marine uniform. The daughter wanted nothing to do with the Jehovah's witness religion. She attended with her boy friend. The audience was a mixture of witnesses and non witnesses. Even elders attended. The place was a funeral home. I gave the talk. The son spoke to the audience in his full dress marine uniform. The son spoke of his love for his father. He explained that he joined the marines because of his father. The last thing I did before the prayer was explain the deceased love of contry music. We then played the deceased's favorite country song.

After the ceremony the group stayed to talk to one another. No one said anything discouraging. To the contrary, all I heard was positive comments from witnesses and non witnesses. The son, daughter, and mom live with mutual respect for each others beliefs to this day. Much good came from that cooperation at the memorial.

All our circumstances are different. Not trying to make any rules here. Just sharing something that I was happy to be a part of as an elder in good standing.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I hadn't read all the responses, but will say that an elder would only give a talk at the Funeral Home (not the Kingdom Hall) in this situation if he was specifically asked to do so, and many would still say no. I highly highly highly doubt any request for "the sisters" to bring food will take place.

I imagine you will be better off to make all arrangements with the funeral home, including their person giving a talk if no family member wants to do it. Order pizzas or something similar if arranging food is difficult.

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Make Lemonade - it seems they were lucky you were the elder - I suspect other elders would not behave in this way and would use the opportunity to push the WBTS agenda and ignore discussing the deceased's life. I will make very sure my wife does not have any elders speaking at or attending my funeral. Fraz

• nugget
    nugget

Depends on how important JW relatives are since they do tend to move the goalposts to suit.

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Sorry to hear about your mother in law. It is hard on every one.

Considering she was not a baptized members, the elders will suggest a funeral hall sermon or grave side.

They do not provide dinners.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit