College Class about JWs .... book suggestions?

by Shepherd Book 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Shepherd Book
    Shepherd Book

I have the opportunity to take an independent study class through my university this summer. My advisor, a History professor, suggested I choose Jehovah's Witnesses as a topic.

We are now trying to formulate a syllabus. She suggests I write two papers: one on the history of JWs, and another on their doctinal approach.

So now my question is...what books/articles/videos do I list on my syllabus as sources I intend to read and use for the papers?

Of course, there's plenty written about the JWs by the Watchtower Society, but that's not exactly reliable (though I might quote from the Proclaimers book once or twice just to show their perspective or to use their exact words). And most of the non-Watchtower books about JWs are memoirs, which is great, but not exactly going to help me in this area. (My guess is that quoting from my own website or book is off limits, too.)

Any suggestions, I'd appreciate it!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Crisis of Conscience, by Ray Franz

In Search of Christian Freedom, by Ray Franz

Releasing the Bonds, by Steven Hassan

Pew Research Forum - lots of well researched data about JWs in comparison to other religions in the US

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

You should also check out this thread about a teachers experience with a JW kid and the importance of using multiple sources, not from a single source, ie, the WTBTS:

• snowbird
    snowbird

Apocalypse Delayed - James Penton

The Gentile Times Reconsidered - Carl Olof Jonsson

Sylvia

• Shepherd Book
    Shepherd Book

Awesome suggestions, thanks.

I should have mentioned that I've already read both of Franz's books and, yes, I will likely add them to the list. Not sure if I'll read them cover-to-cover again, but an in-depth perusal will definitely be in order.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I have not read it, but going by the Title it may well be of use "The Orwellian World of the Jehovah's Witnesses".

Another book, now out of print, but maybe available on line, is one by Alan Rogerson , which if memory serves, he cheekily titled "Millions now living will never die". He and his family were JW's, but woke up, as a University Graduate his appraisal is good, if somewhat dated, things have got much worse since he wrote his book !

Why I recommend it is because it goes through the workings of the WT, how they operate, which basically hasn't changed that much, and how the R&F are fooled, and how they react to the WT control mechanisms etc, it may give a good basis for your course, even if your students don't get to see it.

Good luck !

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

How many credits is this course? I could never write a neutral book about the Witnesses. The problem I see is you have the official JW view and then there a lots of books about the experience of being a JW. Barbara Grizzuti Harrison's was the most compelling for me. It is dated now. Penton's book seemed all right but it is dated, too. It would be nice if he or someone with his permission updated his book. It is sad but the pickings are meagre.

Do you have to submit an outline of what you will write. I was supposed to do so for my senior thesis in college. Indecisiveness was a problem. I heard from other students that the chair found out I did no work first semester. He wanted to flunk me. My profs fought for me. I was awarded Honors. The last stretch was hard. Nothing sounded interesting to research. When you consider the age I was, some adult should have scheduled a conference for me. If I had known of the failure threat, I never could have written my paper.

JW doctrine sounds too broad a category. Oh, what department is sponsoring you?

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

BTW, the book, Releasing the Bonds (Hassan), is not just about JWs, it is about cults in general. Nevertheless, it does have some specific information about JWs.

• ablebodiedman
    ablebodiedman

The Proclaimers Book!

Don't miss the page where they describe how "God's Spirit Directed Organization" is organized!

God's Spirit Directed Organization

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

The closest thing to a history of Jehovah's Witnesses is Apocalypose Delayed by James Penton, who himself is a historian.

Lots of valuable historical information in Crisis of Conscience, although it reads more like a memoir than a history of the movement.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit