"You can't sit there" (bad language)

by Simon 37 Replies latest jw friends

• City Fan
    City Fan

Assemblies were great when I was still going - well they were held at the home of football - Maine Road, Manchester.

Worst assembly experience is one I can't actually remember.
    When I was 18 months old there was a large week long International marathon assembly at Wembley Stadium. Talks started at 9am and went on (I'm told) till about 7pm, with some old speakers waffling on for almost 2 hours.
    Of course my family had to roomed (put up) near the stadium. For anyone who knows Wembley you wouldn't stay there if you were paid - it's the pits.
    I got dysentry and ended up on a drip for 4 days back at a children's hospital in Manchester. Oh yes, many's the time we've laughed about this experience.
    What a blessing such sacrifices were to the organisation !!

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

Ah the nazi attendants at the assemblies. I remember them so well. Yes, give a young guy a badge and a job and he thinks he's Joe Cop all of the sudden. NO! You cannot exit here. NO! Return to your seat. NO! Be quiet. NO! You cannot sit here. NO! NO! NO!

I remember the many times when the doors would be opened at 8am, and there would be a growd of hundreds pushed up against the doors. The stampede would start precisely at 8am when the doors opened, people literally being trampled while trying to get to 'the good seats'. I saw one very elderly women knocked down a short flight of stairs suring one of those. Ah the love! And this is after the 'reminders' from the stage EVERYDAY not to do this. It's amazing how much 'Jehovah's people' need to be constanly told what proper MANNERS are.

• Angharad
    Angharad

Hey City Fan

Are you still in Manchester? If so where you at Maine Road the year of the pitch invasion?

They were giving away the flowers around the platform at the end of the assembly, there was an orderly queue for a while and then a load of people just ran to the front and so everyone did and loads of the flowers ended up trampled into the grass.

• ballistic
    ballistic

pitch invasion at a convention LOL, what I would do for a MPEG of that!!!!

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Never being a JW I find this thread a facinating read. I just wonder why YOU KNOW or FREDHALL never post to similiar threads.

• waiting
    waiting

I used to have panic attacks at unexpected times - steamy, close quarters didn't help - as is found at assemblies.

So, my husband & I would walk around some....quietly. When my nerves calmed down, we would then try standing in corridors so I could listen & get acclimated to crowds again - before trying to sit back down amongst the thousands.

Stupid attendents - they'd usually tell us to move. Usually my husband would just glare at them and they'd leave us alone. Then we got tired of the hassle, started leaving and hunting antiques - much more fun and no panic attacks. My quasi-cure!

But on the other side.......every once in a while - an attendent was really nice to me - could see that there was a problem. I appreciated that.

waiting

• puzzled
    puzzled

waiting...

GEEEEEEEZ can I ever relate to that. The last assembly I attended I new that was going to happen again and I was sick and tired of going home with my feet hurting so bad from standing and walking around in circles for hours I just said f*** it and wore my jogging shoes. I had on a dress and the usuall socially acceptable stuff and jogging shoes. It was the first time I drove home with no pain.

They seemed to be getting worse and worse about not allowing anyone to stand. they were like masquitos.

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." --Mark Twain
  • City Fan
    City Fan

Angharad !

Oh yes - the pitch invasion.

My mum sent my dad to get some flowers - he came back barely alive - almost trampled to death by the rush of old ladies!

About 1990 ish I think ??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit