Jesus was a False Prophet - But was he deluded or deceitful?

by cofty 48 Replies latest watchtower bible

• donny
    donny

As much as I tried to hold on to my belief that the Jesus story, or for that matter the whole Bible, was true, the more I read the Scriptures without anyone coloring them for me, the more I realized that it was not what is presented in today’s American version of Christianity.

First, it is clear to me that Jesus and his followers expected "all things" to occur within their lifetimes. According to the story, these were times of urgency in getting the message out that the Kingdom of God was at hand. Even Peter had to remind those of his day that Jesus was not slow in keeping his promise as some consider slowness, but was waiting so as many as possible could be saved.

If that delay was a few weeks, years, or decades, it is clear from the Bible that they were not referring to centuries much less millennia. But as human nature has clearly shown throughout history, people resist change. Leaving ones cultural or born-into religion is not practiced by the majority and once a religion is established the adherents usually hang on to it.

About a century after Jesus died, Christianity began shifting from a religion with an urgent message about a soon-to-be return, to one that was looking at a long future ahead of it. As a result it slowly became intermeshed with the political element of the day (Rome) and eventually became indistinguishable from it.

As a result, like most government agencies, it became full of greed and corruption leading to some of the most offensive atrocities ever assigned to mankind.

What I found interesting is that for about 75% of the history of “the church”, only a relatively few schisms and breaks occurred after it became part of the government machine. The Bible was not readily accessible during this time.

But once the Bible became easier to access, the divisions of the church multiplied greatly and continues to do so today leading to 40,000+ different ideas of what a Christian is.

I could start my own church today and with just a little bit of flamboyancy and clever “reasoning” it may even grown into one of the larger ones and go on for centuries.

I no longer believe any of it anymore and assign it to just another one of the many stories about beings of divine origin that have developed over the history of man.

• yalbmert99
    yalbmert99

Jesus was a paranoid schizophrenic with delusions, hallucinations and paranoia.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

You obviously knew him personally.

• yalbmert99
    yalbmert99

Here is an analysis in French, showing Jesus was schizophrenic :

http://www.watchtowerlies.com/jesus_etait_schizophrene.html

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Can the same question be asked of Mohamed, Buddha and the other founders of religions? A lot of people set themselves up as prophets, it is credibility, organisational struture and historical accident (for example being used by an expanding Empire as a way to win hearts and minds) that makes one the founder of a global religion and another a nut case.

• cofty
    cofty

EOM - Your post sounds exactly like a Watchtower. Full of obfuscation.

To Jesus and his disciples the fall of Jerusalem was to be the beginning of the end of the world and the prelude to the parousia. It is blatantly obvious. Everything you have written is like "the small print in a fraudulent contract", to quote Dennett.

Here is a classic insight into the thinking of the early church...

According to the Lord’s word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. Therefore encourage one another with these words. - 1Thess 4:15-18

• cofty
    cofty

Can the same question be asked of Mohamed, Buddha and the other founders of religions?

Muhammad was a pedophile.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Having intimate knowledge of a paranoid schizophrenic, I can say with confidence that Jesus was not. A schizophrenic has enough trouble tying his shoelaces every morning, not to mention collecting a following and itinerant preaching work.

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Well cofty - nothing like upping the ante on the blasphemy - I thought I was pushing it knowing the sensitivities...hopefully we are obscure enough that it won't get picked up by a bunch of jih@dists

• cofty
    cofty

Blasphemy is a victimless crime.

Mo was a pedo it is a fact. He consumated his marriage to a six year old child when she was 9 years old.

Back to the topic. I agree with jgnat I don't think Jesus was schizophrenic. I think he genuinely believed his own publicity. If he was alive today he would be rightly regarded as a dangerous, self-obsessed, cult leader.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit