I have an honest question!

by FL_Panthers 67 Replies latest jw friends

• FL_Panthers
    FL_Panthers

It's with regards to Disfellowshipping.

Is disfellowshipping a legal procedure? Like is there something I can use to prevent this from happening to me if it does happen.

No jokes about me being a bad little boy. I need honest answers to this. Is there a legal document that talks about shunning ? If I declare I am no longer a witness just before the elders were to talk to me, would that mean I will still get d'fd or not ?

serious answers please? This is not a trolling question.

no need for "not sure if trolling or just stupid"

• Londo111
    Londo111

I would suspect the elders would view that as a person DAing themselves and it would be announced.

If a person can fade, that is the recommended course. It is not always possible for everyone.

Letters from a lawyer with the right verbiage has helped in some circumstances with individual elder bodies who did not want to risk a lawsuit. But my gut tells me this is not a sure fire method.

• jgnat
    jgnat

No, disfellowshipping is not a legal procedure. It's an internal policy of a religion that the courts could care less about.

Ever read Alice in Wonderland? (I can't assume this as so many Witnesses seem so limited in their literature choices). The Queen goes around hollering, "Off with their head," terrifying her subjects and generally creating chaos wherever she goes. But nobody actually loses their head.

That's how the "worldly" courts recognize disfellowshipping. It's an internal religious matter that has no material bearing in the real world.

• sir82
    sir82

If I declare I am no longer a witness just before the elders were to talk to me, would that mean I will still get d'fd or not ?

Yeah, if you say "I am no longer a witness" in front of 2 witnesses, you have just disassociated yourself. The anouncement that is read to the congregation is the same as for DF, and the outcome is the same - everyone shuns you.

Use the "search" feature on this site. There are some posts describing how some folks, when threatened with disfellowshipping, hired a lawyer and/or wrote a strongly worded letter to the elders, threatening legal action if the disfellowshipping took place. It was enough to scare the elders into calling Bethel, who then told them to back off.

You sound like you are pretty young, so I don't know how realistic that option is for you.

• Londo111
  • KateWild
    KateWild

FL_Panthers, I thought you had something going on. Dfing has caused many to get depression and even commit suidcide. There is nothing you can do now to stop all your friends and family you have ever known shunning you.

You can get support and friendship here, but we all believe shunning is wrong and the WT should stop this practice do you agree?

Take care Kate xx

• Magnum
    Magnum

If you declared you were no longer a JW before they met with you, you would be disassociating yourself. The effect to you would be the same as if you were disfellowshipped - you'd be shunned, etc.

I believe that in the U.S. what religions like JWs do involving excommunicating is considered to be their own business. The law does not get involved.

• snowbird
    snowbird

"But nobody actually loses their head."

With the JW's disfellowshipping/shunning policy, everybody loses.

When are we going to learn that we cannot hurt our fellows without hurting ourselves?

Sylvia

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

Panthers: Rule #1 Keep quiet in front of elders.

#2 Keep quiet in front of other JWs.

You can try to fade by becoming less active, skip meetings etc...you will be considered as spiriyually weak.

Take care

• snowbird
    snowbird

FL_Panthers/Miz, how long are you going to limp upon two different opinions?

Just walk already!

What's the worst thing that can happen?

Sheesh!

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit