Scriptural reason why only the anointed can partake?

by StephaneLaliberte 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

On this post (here), I have numerous links to posted research linking the "great crowd" to the New Covenant and the Abrahamic covenant, as well as a Scriptural refutation of the Society's linking of the '10 gentiles grabbing hold of the skirt of a Jew' (Zech 8:23) and the 'Egyptian slaves' of Isaiah 45:14 to the great crowd.

Hope this proves helpful.

On the Society's linking of the 'covenant for a kingdom' in Luke 22:28-30 with the Lord's Evening Meal (Luke 22:19, 20), I find it interesting that they insist that the kingdom 'covenant' of verses 28-30 is directly related to the partaking of verses 19, 20, yet they also insist that Luke's presentation of verses 21-23 (which, by the order presented in Luke, would have Judas as a partaker of the emblems) is not chronologically accurate.

They pick and choose what they want as 'evidence,' and disregard what they don't like.

Take Care

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

In Revelation 7 notice that the 144,000 come FROM the 12 tribes - 12,000 from each tribe; so the 144k are a SUBSET of the 12 tribes.

So who are the 12 tribes then? Why, they are the great crowd! The great crowd is a way of describing the huge, combined population of the 12 tribes altogether, as a nation that comes out of the 'great tribulation' (just as the ancient Israelites were a great company that came out of the tribulation of crossing the parted red sea when escaping Egypt).

In ancient Israel there were 12 tribes out of which a subset priestly class came from, but altogether, they formed one huge great crowd!

They were all one nation under the old covenant.

All the great crowd today are likewise one spiritual national under the new covenant.

Simple.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Blondie: Thanks for the quotes. I sincerely appreciate your time and effort. Still, I don’t see, even by JW theological standards, how the bible says that only anointed should partake.

*** it-1 p. 498 Congregation ***

Whereas the Law covenant mediated by Moses and under which the congregation of Israel was regulated was fulfilled by Christ and was taken out of the way by Jehovah God (Mt 5:17; 2Co 3:14; Col 2:13, 14), members of the Christian congregation of God partake of the benefits of the new covenant mediated by the Greater Moses, Jesus Christ. (Mt 26:28; Heb 12:22-24; Ac 3:19-23) Also, while the priests and kings of Israel were anointed with oil (Ex 30:22-30; 2Ki 9:6), those chosen by God to be members of the Christian congregation are anointed with holy spirit (2Co 1:21, 22; 1Jo 2:20) and are adopted by Jehovah God as his sons.—Eph 1:5.

Everyone (great crowd and the anointed) benefit from the new covenant.

(it-2 p. 270 Lord’s Evening Meal)

In thus partaking, these indicate that they are in the new covenant and are receiving the benefits of it, that is, God’s forgiveness of sins through Christ’s blood.

Was the memorial about the sacrificial death of Jesus or the new covenant? Jesus said: this represents my flesh and blood. He said: Keep doing this in remembrance of me. Not: Keep celebrating the new covenant.

They properly esteem the value of “the blood of the covenant” by which they are sanctified. (Heb 10:29)

The blood of Christ washes away the since of EVERYONE.

The Scriptures call them “ministers of a new covenant,” serving its ends. (2Co 3:5, 6)

Irrelevant: Scriptures says that of the anointed, not the partakers.

And they fittingly partake of the emblematic loaf because they can say: “By the said ‘will’ we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all time.” (Heb 10:10)

Everyone can say that: The great crowd washes their garments in the blood of Christ.

They share in Christ’s sufferings and in a death like his, a death of integrity.

Isn’t it basically the hope for Christians that dies faithfully?

They hope to share in “the likeness of his resurrection,” a resurrection to immortal life in a spiritual body.—Ro 6:3-5.

And how is this a requirement to partake?

*** w12 3/1 p. 17 How Should We Remember Jesus’ Death? ***

Through the new covenant, Jehovah makes blessings available to many by means of a few. Those in the covenant are few, a mere 144,000. Through them, millions from all nations will be blessed with everlasting life in an earthly paradise. Some who are in the new covenant serve Jehovah on earth today. They alone properly partake of the bread and the wine because the cup “means the new covenant.”—Read Luke 12:32; Revelation 14:1, 3.

Mathew and mark said: This means my “blood of the covenant” Wine is red like blood. Jesus also said: “Most truly I say to you, Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in yourselves.”. Safer route seems to suggest that you need to partake to demonstrate that you recognize that his sacrifice washes your sin.

*** w10 3/15 p. 27 One Flock, One Shepherd ***Who Should Partake?

15 Those in the new covenant “have boldness for the way of entry into the holy place.” (Read Hebrews 10:15-20.) These are the ones who are “to receive a kingdom that cannot be shaken.” (Heb. 12:28) So, then, only those who will be kings and priests in heaven with Jesus Christ should drink from the “cup” that represents the new covenant. These participants in the new covenant are the ones promised in marriage to the Lamb. (2 Cor. 11:2; Rev. 21:2, 9) All others who attend the annual Memorial are respectful observers, who do not partake of the emblems.

Jesus didn’t say: By partaking, you demonstrate that you will be sitting to the right of me.

*** w09 1/15 p. 28 par. 15 Jehovah’s Servant—“Pierced for Our Transgression” ***

The things in the heavens” that are reconciled to Jehovah by means of Christ’s shed blood are the anointed Christians, called to reign with Christ in the heavens. Christians who are “partakers of the heavenly calling” are declared “righteous for life.” (Heb. 3:1; Rom. 5:1, 18) Jehovah then begets them as spiritual sons. The holy spirit bears witness to them that they are “joint heirs with Christ,” called to become kings and priests in his heavenly Kingdom. (Rom. 8:15-17; Rev. 5:9, 10) They become part of spiritual Israel, “the Israel of God,” and they are taken into the “new covenant.” (Jer. 31:31-34; Gal. 6:16) As members of the new covenant, they are entitled to partake of the Memorial emblems, including the cup of red wine, of which Jesus stated: “This cup means the new covenant by virtue of my blood, which is to be poured out in your behalf.”—Luke 22:20.

The blood was to be poured out in behalf of all who believed in him - not just the anointed. Matthew and Mark said: This means my “blood of the covenant”. Jesus’ Blood.

Also, did Jesus say: By drinking this cup, you demonstrate you are part of the new covenant? Take someone who believes to be saves (to an earthly paradise) through the new covenant. Why would he not the cup in appreciation for what the covenant brings? Either you go through the ceremony or you don't. There was no respectful christians observers in that room.

*** bh p. 207 par. 4 The Lord’s Evening Meal—An Observance That Honors God ***

Who should partake of these Memorial emblems? Logically, only those in the new covenant—that is, those who have the hope of going to heaven—should partake of the bread and the wine. God’s holy spirit convinces such ones that they have been selected to be heavenly kings. (Romans 8:16) They are also in the Kingdom covenant with Jesus.—Luke 22:29.

Logically?? How is saying “Logically” an explanation by itself?

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

There are no anointed. It's made up.

DD

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Before I answer....I'm an atheist and history has proven to me beyond doubt that the bible is very human and not of deity origins.....

That being said, note that Watchtower teach that nobody was anointed until pentecost 33, AFTER jesus had died. So nobody at that upper room, consuming the last meal was 'anointed'.

Simply ask an elder to read the verses pre "keep doing this in remembersnce of me" and ask them if we should in any way change or alter how it was done? when they say no.... then mention that none of them were anointed, why do WT add that rule? 'He' said keep doing THIS.... not anything more or less.

snare x

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

marking

@yadda yadda 2 "SUBSET" - duh! 2+ years after starting to wake up and I still learn stuff. Awesome!

• prologos
    prologos

wt writers agree that the 12 tribes are not the heavenly, but earthly class. wt 2009 August 15, page 8. par. 4

Snare& Racket,: very well put. and

there was only one anointed in that upper room,-- and he did not partake with them after that prayer.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Other churches make a distinction over who can "partake" based on membership. This reasoning is to avoid the dire punishments described by Paul:

Observing the Lord's Supper
    27 Therefore whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner, shall be guilty of the body and the blood of the Lord. 28 But a man must examine himself, and in so doing he is to eat of the bread and drink of the cup. 29 For he who eats and drinks, eats and drinks judgment to himself if he does not judge the body rightly 1 Corinthians 11:27-29. (NIV I think)

My old pastor reasoned that partaking or not does not make an unworthy person less a sinner. They are still separated from God. So he never took issue. In my current church, we are encouraged to examine our hearts before partaking, which we do monthly.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Its also important to remember the greatcrowd is washed clean with the blood. Jesus my blood means the new Covenant. Its also important to remember that the greatcrowd comes out of the tribulation and it has not started yet so who are all these people that don't partake but are not of the greatcrowd?

• prologos
    prologos

Crazy guy: yes, Wt has admitted that it is really not right to refer to the great crowd existing now: Questions from readers wt april 15, 1995, page 31.

good point of yours, How can they be apart from the new covenant which is for forgiveness of sins, if they have done so, as mentioned with the blood of Christ?

not endorsing just analizing

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit