Scriptural reason why only the anointed can partake?

by StephaneLaliberte 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

It’s weird, but I’m trying to find scriptures used by the WTBS to back the following assumption:

*** w81 4/1 p. 12 Celebrating the Death of the Greatest Man Ever on Earth ***

It is because the Founder of the celebration set it up for observance by those with whom he made a covenant for the heavenly kingdom.

The WT repeatedly says the comment above in various forms and then go on to show how the great crowd is not part of that covenant. Yet, they don't seem to use any scripture in supporting this inital claim; namely, that those observing the lord's meal demonstrate by doing so that they are part of the covenant.

Jesus plainly said: "Keep doing this in remembrance of me". The Apostle Paul also added "For whenever you eat this loaf and drink this cup, you keep proclaiming the death of the Lord, until he comes."

I don't understand how they extrapolate theses statements to "doing so demonstrates that the observers are part of the new convenant".

• prologos
    prologos

a new point to me, thank you. Wt could claim the kingdom covenant WAS ALREADY MADE BEFORE the last supper, not after like in Luke 22:28,29,

for there is a PRIOR mention in Math. 19: 28,29. a done deal. but

When Jesus passed the Bread&Wine the apostles had an EARTHLY HOPE, until Pentecost and

The NEW COVENANT is for FORGIVENESS of SIN, not the kingdom.

The scenario is really thus:

Partakers have their sins forgiven by the cup, bread, then

They give up, SACRIFICE that gift of regained life on earth, as Jesus did*. Revelation book page 100, par 4 and later wts

to gain the higher calling, and hope they will be decapitated to qualify Re. 20.

That it is why WT is wrong, they slyly switch from the New Covenant to the Kingdom covenant in their talks, with out explanation.

All desirous of everlasting life should partake John 6.

But if there was no talking snake, not to worry.

* remember Jesus is called the "second [or] last Adam", the one having the right to live, p(c)opulate this planet, forever.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

One thing to remember is there is no kingdom covenant, jesus said bestow or to appoint or promise, not covenant or contract. He was giving it to them or promising it to them. Another change in their translation to fit their dogma. The kingdom and his promise was a different conversation entirely from the New covenant meal conversation.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

You're getting fooled by the word 'observance' in that statement. By 'observance' there they really mean 'partaking'. The use of the term 'observe' [the lord's evening meal] is usually reserved for those who merely watch and do not actually partake of the emblems, ie, the 'other sheep'. Of course, the WTS's creed is a totally unscriptural concept, anathema to scriptural Christianity. There is no such thing as a mere 'observer' who didn't partake of the emblems according to scripture, as you note. JW's are enthralled to Judge Rutherford's twisted doctrine instead of what the scriptures plainly teach, ie, that all genuine Christians are by necessity partakers of the emblems.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

What stricks me here, is that there does not seem to be any attempt on the WT side to use, even twist a particular scripture to support the idea that partaking implies being part of the covenant.

• sir82
    sir82

Acts of the Governing Body 12:38

• CWstudy
    CWstudy

There is so scriptural reason.

Jehovah's witnesses are taught that Jesus is not their mediator that he is only the mediator for the 144,000.

Yet the bible says:

“There is one God, and one mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus.” - 1 Timothy 2:5

Jesus said to that we should partake of the Lord's supper because:

Luke 22:19:

And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me."

The act of taking the the emblems and then passing them is a rejection of Christ. So the WT leads millions to reject the body and the blood of Christ and has gone so far as to say that they "the GB" are the real mediator between the rank and file and God, not Christ.

If that's not Anti Christ teaching then I don't know what is.

• blondie
    blondie

Not sure this is what you are looking for. Remember, Blondie is just reporting not supporting.

*** it-1 p. 498 Congregation ***

Whereas the Law covenant mediated by Moses and under which the congregation of Israel was regulated was fulfilled by Christ and was taken out of the way by Jehovah God (Mt 5:17; 2Co 3:14; Col 2:13, 14), members of the Christian congregation of God partake of the benefits of the new covenant mediated by the Greater Moses, Jesus Christ. (Mt 26:28; Heb 12:22-24; Ac 3:19-23) Also, while the priests and kings of Israel were anointed with oil (Ex 30:22-30; 2Ki 9:6), those chosen by God to be members of the Christian congregation are anointed with holy spirit (2Co 1:21, 22; 1Jo 2:20) and are adopted by Jehovah God as his sons.—Eph 1:5.

Basically the Hebrew congregation was composed of natural Israelites. Persons comprising the anointed Christian congregation of God are spiritual Israelites, forming the tribes of spiritual Israel. (Re 7:4-8)

*** it-2 p. 270 Lord’s Evening Meal ***

In thus partaking, these indicate that they are in the new covenant and are receiving the benefits of it, that is, God’s forgiveness of sins through Christ’s blood. They properly esteem the value of “the blood of the covenant” by which they are sanctified. (Heb 10:29) The Scriptures call them “ministers of a new covenant,” serving its ends. (2Co 3:5, 6) And they fittingly partake of the emblematic loaf because they can say: “By the said ‘will’ we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all time.” (Heb 10:10) They share in Christ’s sufferings and in a death like his, a death of integrity. They hope to share in “the likeness of his resurrection,” a resurrection to immortal life in a spiritual body.—Ro 6:3-5.

*** w12 3/1 p. 17 How Should We Remember Jesus’ Death? ***

Through the new covenant, Jehovah makes blessings available to many by means of a few. Those in the covenant are few, a mere 144,000. Through them, millions from all nations will be blessed with everlasting life in an earthly paradise. Some who are in the new covenant serve Jehovah on earth today. They alone properly partake of the bread and the wine because the cup “means the new covenant.”—Read Luke 12:32; Revelation 14:1, 3.

*** w10 3/15 p. 27 One Flock, One Shepherd ***Who Should Partake?

15 Those in the new covenant “have boldness for the way of entry into the holy place.” (Read Hebrews 10:15-20.) These are the ones who are “to receive a kingdom that cannot be shaken.” (Heb. 12:28) So, then, only those who will be kings and priests in heaven with Jesus Christ should drink from the “cup” that represents the new covenant. These participants in the new covenant are the ones promised in marriage to the Lamb. (2 Cor. 11:2; Rev. 21:2, 9) All others who attend the annual Memorial are respectful observers, who do not partake of the emblems.

*** w09 1/15 p. 28 par. 15 Jehovah’s Servant—“Pierced for Our Transgression” ***

The things in the heavens” that are reconciled to Jehovah by means of Christ’s shed blood are the anointed Christians, called to reign with Christ in the heavens. Christians who are “partakers of the heavenly calling” are declared “righteous for life.” (Heb. 3:1; Rom. 5:1, 18) Jehovah then begets them as spiritual sons. The holy spirit bears witness to them that they are “joint heirs with Christ,” called to become kings and priests in his heavenly Kingdom. (Rom. 8:15-17; Rev. 5:9, 10) They become part of spiritual Israel, “the Israel of God,” and they are taken into the “new covenant.” (Jer. 31:31-34; Gal. 6:16) As members of the new covenant, they are entitled to partake of the Memorial emblems, including the cup of red wine, of which Jesus stated: “This cup means the new covenant by virtue of my blood, which is to be poured out in your behalf.”—Luke 22:20.

*** bh p. 207 par. 4 The Lord’s Evening Meal—An Observance That Honors God ***

Who should partake of these Memorial emblems? Logically, only those in the new covenant—that is, those who have the hope of going to heaven—should partake of the bread and the wine. God’s holy spirit convinces such ones that they have been selected to be heavenly kings. (Romans 8:16) They are also in the Kingdom covenant with Jesus.—Luke 22:29.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

So, there is no scripture actually quoted to prove what they claim.

This all boils down to a typical WT Circular Argument. They claim that the 144,000 and the Great Crowd in Rev. 7 are two seperate groups. Therefore they claim that the Great Crowd do not partake, not being in the new Covenant.

I do not read Rev 7 that way at all. How do you understand it ?

It seems to me that the ALL nations mentioned would include the Jews, "John" goes to great lengths to show that not any group, or even individual, is left out of his Great Crowd who stand before the throne, in heaven, as ones who have attained Salvation,

would any of such ones be excluded from the New Covenant ? As the chapter shows, they are there sharing in it, as they praise the Lord for beginning his reign.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS likes to make scripture strings to prove their point...or putting a word or phrase before a scripture but not in quotes, e.g., governing body and then Acts 15. I was almost 50 years old before I caught that. I have found many jws that didn't notice that the phrase "governing body" never occurs in the bible, even the NWT, and did not believe it until I showed them the scripture in their bible.

*** w10 7/15 p. 21 par. 6 “The Spirit Searches Into . . . the Deep Things of God” *** After considering this evidence in the light of indications in the Hebrew Scriptures and with the help of holy spirit, the governing body made a decision. Then they informed the congregations in writing about that decision.—Read Acts 15:25-30;

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit