by JustVisting 17 Replies latest jw friends

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

Latinos are usually from Catholic backgrounds, and CATHOLICS from

any country make great JWs because they like to follow a Pope

or Governing Body, and obey Priests, substitute Edlers, and expect

a certain amount of sexual child abuse to occur, and a lot of unexplainable

doctrines, and Mysteries, and magical thinking, this is why the WT does

well in all third world countries that are solidly Catholic, so its not about

Spanish speakers so much as Catholic thinkers.

• millie210
    millie210

Village Girl that is an amazing post. I never thought about it that way but you are exactly right.

• wolfman85
  • ateograciasadios
    ateograciasadios

I get that it might sound racist. I am latino myself, and I think this is hillarious. More importantly, this is TRUE. Is it not because of Spanish congregations that there was, not long ago, a small increase? Even worldwide, in Latinamerican countries they are still growing...... but I doubt they will like any of this Mexican stuff, hahaha.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

That bit about a Quincianeras is a good point, because if those are acceptable then how can they consistenty deny a birthday celebration. It's the same thing, amped up for girls who turn 15. It's a very special event.

• fastJehu
    fastJehu

Piñata ist still allowed

look at the chain of reasoning - because this chain is normally not allowed in JW-land:

*** g03 9/22 p. 24 The Piñata—An Ancient Tradition ***
    When considering whether to include a piñata at a social gathering, Christians should be sensitive to the consciences of others. (1 Corinthians 10:31-33) A main concern is, not what the practice meant hundreds of years ago, but how it is viewed today in your area. Understandably, opinions may vary from one place to another. Hence, it is wise to avoid turning such matters into big issues.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" not what the practice meant hundreds of years ago, but how it is viewed today in your area. "

That certainly makes Christmas O.K for JW's in my area then ! LOL

• fastJehu
    fastJehu

*** w94 12/15 p. 3 What Does Christmas Mean to You? ***
    SURPRISING as it may seem, of more than 1,000 people surveyed in Britain, only 6 percent considered Christmas to be primarily a religious occasion. In contrast, 48 percent thought of Christmas predominantly as a time to be with their family. Indeed, many maintain that it is a special time for children.

For christmas other rules are valid

*** g89 7/8 p. 30 From Our Readers ***
    But for many, Christmas is celebrated by fraternizing in church with friends. Is this wrong?
    E. L. L., Brazil
    No doubt many endeavor to celebrate the supposed date of Jesus’ birth in a dignified way. Nevertheless, the article gave clear evidence that (1) Jesus never authorized any such celebration, (2) Jesus’ birth must have taken place in September/October (not December), and (3) many of the customs associated with Christmas are clearly of pagan origin. So the issue confronting those desiring to please God in their worship is, not how such a celebration might be carried on, but whether Christmas in any form has God’s approval.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit