By saying things like magic are bad, do the WTS imply that it exists?

by DuvanMuvan 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DuvanMuvan
    DuvanMuvan

I was wondering why they're so uptight about magical things (cough cough sparlock cough) and was just remembering some quotes in the publications about demons and stuff i saw on another thread and I seriously think that they believe this stuff is real.

Once I asked my mum why previously she said not to watch magicians because they're bad blah blah when it wasn't real, hence the term magic TRICK. She admitted that while most of them are probably innocent, she still thinks some of them (anyone heard of Dynamo?) have some demonic power behind them.

I seriously wanna hear some other views on this

• Laika
    Laika

My Mum thinks Dynamo is possessed as well.

• designs
    designs

As JWs we were taught to believe Satan and the demons were real.

• DuvanMuvan
    DuvanMuvan

Lol just imagining talking to someone about this stuff while I was still a jw is making me feel sick

• frankiespeakin
  • DuvanMuvan
    DuvanMuvan

Thanks for that frankie it's pretty catchy

• blondie
    blondie

Magic - demons

Magic - illusions, sleight of hand (BUT the concept of stumbling someone is applied, can be applied to anything under the sun) I have a card trick where it seems I push the cards through the table...been accused by the slow-minded that it was demonism even when I slowed it down for them.

*** g93 9/8 p. 27 Is There Danger in Practicing Magic? ***

Most people, however, associate the word “magic” with entertainment. A person might create illusions with his hands (sleight of hand), having in mind that the hand is often quicker than the eye. There may be no Biblical objection to this. However, if there is a pretense of occult magic, would a Christian ever want to give the impression of possessing some supernatural, unexplainable power? Or if others are given the wrong impression by the “magical” performance, would a Christian not want to forgo such entertainment so as not to stumble others? (1 Corinthians 10:29, 31-33) In addition, there is the potential danger of a person’s being tempted to go further, into the deeper magical arts.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Anything THEY do not or cannot control is BAAAAAAAD.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Start questioning the existence of "real" magic, and you're on your way to challenging other 'supernatural' forces such as god or a devil.

Plus all of the scary magic talk scares everyone into the arms of Jehovah/the cult.

• DuvanMuvan
    DuvanMuvan

I feel so sorry for Caleb from the be Jehovah's friend videos. When he grows up he's going to have to explain to all his school mates that "magic is bad because Jehovah hates it because mummy said so" and that probably isn't going to work when he speaks to someone WITHOUT the reasoning skills of a brainwashed 5 year old

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit