What happened to the "Witness" part of Jehovah's Witnesses?

by donny 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

Thanks Emeth, DuvanMuvan,

I've been gone for around 20 years now (yikes I'm getting old) and I don't think we made a special effort to invite the general public.

I do remember we invited anyone and everyone that ever had anything to do with the JWs and all the faders would come out of the wood work.

I guess it is like the worldy version of a new years resolution.

• donny
    donny

I have been gone almost 22 years myself and am amazed how tame the JW's have become.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Basically phoning it in these days.

No wonder the GB's urging of "do-more-do-more-do-more" has a distinctive tone of quiet desperation.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Where I go to church the priests tell anyone that they are welcome to the Eucharist. Now I recall what the emblems being passed. In my day, only very old people could be members of the remnant. Everyone's eyes followed the emblems on their trip. I was terrified that I would accidently touch them and die horribly. Think Raiders of the Lost Ark. Yet through most of the world Christian ministers invite all to the Eucharist. Once when feminism was strong, the women were having a special Eucharist. A male seminarian asked if he could attend. The women said No. There was big trouble. All religon's members have come to receive Eucharist. Does Christ invite and welcome (embrace) or does a cult exclude and judge.

We were fools not to partake of the Emblems.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

“Keep doing this in remembrance of me.”—Luke 22:19. referred to the ACT of breaking

bread and drinking wine TOGETHER , partaking as a group, in observance, the witnesses

get together and refuse to do what Jesus asked them to do, its positively creepy.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

For the past several years they've not only printed invites for the memorial but also for the district conventions...wonder if they'll do that for the one-day wonders? The jws I know love to do the invite work as it's "easy" time, which is why they won't stop and talk to anyone. They can count all the hours they're out "working the territory" and hunting down inactive ones...and last I knew, they were told to go back to each house 3 times. Talk about lazy witnessing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit