For those who still attend- When was the last time you had a Congregation Picnic or Get together?

by BU2B 27 Replies latest jw friends

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Very limited social events and it was this dissatisfaction that led me to here.

• JustVisting
    JustVisting

Joe134Cd, very similar experience here. Last invite we received was for a picnic on Easter Sunday several years ago and when we mentioned that to the elderette pioneer organizing the festivities, she said "well if it bothers you, that's ok...". She henceforth shunned us and we were excluded from all further Congo extra-curricular events after that.

justvisting

• dozy
    dozy

Depends on the congregation really - some are more sociable than others. The couple that I attended only had very occasional get-togethers - maybe once every 2 / 3 years or so. One sister organised a meal & dance for the congregation a few years ago but ran into so much hassle & control from the elders that she vowed never to do one again - and she hasn't.

I remember when I was young in the "glasnost" times in the mid to late 70's there was often a congregation dance or party going on with the surrounding local congregations invited , but the WTBTS clamped down on all that. It was a shame because it was all good times , perfectly innocent , and a lot of the single ones & older ones really enjoyed it. A bit like the congregation home book studies that the WTBTS scrapped a few years ago.

You tend to find rather than "large gatherings" ( which the WTBTS doesn't approve of ) there are smaller private get-togethers for groups of friends , especially younger ones. If you aren't in the clique , then you won't get invited.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

LOL, it depends on the cong, I guess. I know my old cong had a garden / tea party and a fancy dress party in the last couple of years. But that cong is a lot smaller now than it was 25 years ago, with a lot of older sisters who no longer attend very often- so they need something to cheer them up.

• blondie
    blondie

*** w06 10/15 pp. 24-25 pars. 5-7 Prove Your Faith by Your Life Course ***

Many hosts have faced the issue of whether to serve alcoholic beverages. Such are not needed for a gathering to be upbuilding. Recall that Jesus provided a meal for a sizable group that came to him—he multiplied bread and fish. The account does not say that he miraculously provided wine, although we know that he was able to do so. (Matthew 14:14-21) If you decide to serve alcoholic beverages at a gathering, be moderate as to how much there will be, and make sure that there are appealing alternatives for those who prefer them. (1 Timothy 3:2, 3, 8; 5:23; 1 Peter 4:3) Definitely refrain from making anyone feel pressured to drink something that might bite “just like a serpent.” (Proverbs 23:29-32) What about music or singing? If your gathering will include music, no doubt you will carefully select the songs, considering both rhythm and lyrics. (Colossians 3:8; James 1:21) Many Christians have found that playing Kingdom Melodies or even singing such songs together contributes to a good atmosphere. (Ephesians 5:19, 20) And, of course, check on the volume regularly so that the music neither stifles enjoyable conversation nor disturbs any neighbors.—Matthew 7:12.

*** w92 8/15 pp. 19-20 pars. 15-18 Social Entertainment—Enjoy the Benefits, Avoid the Snares ***

15 The wedding in Cana had a “director of the feast.” (John 2:8) This is not to say that a family having a group to their house for a meal or a period of association would have to appoint a director. The husband would be responsible for oversight of the event. But whether a group is just two families or is somewhat larger, it should be clear that someone is responsible for what goes on. Many parents check on this when their son or daughter is invited to a social gathering. They contact the host to ask who will oversee the entire occasion, including being present to its end. Christian parents have even adjusted their own schedule to be present so that both older and younger ones could enjoy mutual fellowship.

16 The Canada branch of the Watch Tower Society writes: “Counsel relative to limiting the size of social gatherings has been understood by a few elders to mean that large gatherings at wedding receptions are in violation of the counsel. They have concluded that if we are counseled to keep our social gatherings to a small, manageable size, it would be wrong to have 200 or 300 people at a wedding reception.” Rather than overemphasizing an arbitrary size, prime attention should be given to proper oversight, however many will be there. The quantity of wine that Jesus provided indicates that quite a sizable group attended the wedding in Cana, but evidently it was suitably overseen. Other feasts back then were not; their size may have been a factor leading to inadequate oversight. The larger a gathering, the greater the challenge, because it is easier for weaker ones, who are inclined toward excesses, to assert themselves. At unsupervised gatherings they may promote questionable activities.—1 Corinthians 10:6-8.

17 Fine oversight of a social gathering includes its planning and preparation. This does not require devising a catchy theme to make it unique or memorable but which would imitate worldly parties, such as costume balls or masquerade parties. Can you imagine faithful Israelites in the Promised Land planning a party where all were to dress like pagans in Egypt or another land? Would they plan sensuous dancing or wild music that might be the rage among pagans?Back at Mount Sinai, they did get ensnared in music and dancing such as may have been current and popular in Egypt. We know how God and his mature servant Moses viewed that entertainment. (Exodus 32:5, 6, 17-19) Hence, the host or overseer of a social event should consider whether there will be any singing or dancing; and if so, he should be sure that it is consistent with Christian principles.—2 Corinthians 6:3.

18 Finally, we remember that ‘Jesus and his disciples were invitedto the marriage feast.’ (John 2:2) Granted, an individual Christian or a family might simply visit others for a pleasant, upbuilding time. But for planned social events, experience shows that determining beforehand who will be there helps to prevent problems. The importance of this was stressed by an elder in Tennessee, U.S.A., who has reared sons and daughters who are in the full-time ministry. Before he or his wife would accept an invitation, or give his children permission to attend, he contacted the host to be sure that the attendees were predetermined. His family was protected from snares that have befallen some at gatherings open to all, whether for a meal, a picnic, or exercise, such as playing ball.

6 At a social gathering, Christians may talk about various subjects, read some material aloud, or relate interesting experiences. If the conversation strays, the host can tactfully redirect it. He should also be alert that no one person dominates the conversation. If he sees that developing, he can judiciously speak up and provide for variety, perhaps by drawing out the young ones or introducing a subject that invites varied comments. Both young and old will be delighted with this aspect of the gathering. If, as the organizer, you guide matters wisely and tactfully, your ‘reasonableness will become known’ to those present. (Philippians 4:5) They will sense that yours is a living faith, one that affects all phases of your life.

Brother B———— led the procession in his van, carrying three grills, folding chairs, tables, and even a table-tennis table. We enjoyed it tremendously. One sister had an accordion with her, so there were a lot of Kingdom songs. The brothers, young and old, enjoyed the companionship.”

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

We went to a beach bbc last summer.It was in my mum's congregation and we were staying on holiday.

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

I meant bbq.

• SingleCell
    SingleCell

Last summer, a great time, looking forward to this summer as well!

I love my congregation ... unfortunately it sounds as most of you haven't had good experiences with Witnesses.

Makes me sad...

• KateWild
    KateWild

Welcome to the forum SingleCell.

unfortunately it sounds as most of you haven't had good experiences with Witnesses.-SingleCell

I have had a bad experience. Our cong had a day out recently, but I couldn't go because I was DF'd unjustly, they had a day out the year before but I couldn't go to that either because I was marked. I did not commit willful sin, and I was not unrepentant. I simply reproted domestic violence and ended up DF'd eventually. I put in five letters to get RI'd and they still wouldn't have me back in. The whole RI process is unscriptural and that has stopped me from trying anymore.

Kate xx

• SingleCell
    SingleCell

I'm sorry to hear that Kate :/

Unfortunately it seems we're in the time period where the 'commands of men' are taught as the fear of God (Isaiah 29)

God needs to judge his house for these pharisee behaviors, and it's coming quickly, in my opinion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit