For those who still attend- When was the last time you had a Congregation Picnic or Get together?

by BU2B 27 Replies latest jw friends

• BU2B
    BU2B

It seems that in my neck of the woods there is no social interaction between JWs outisde of FS and the KH. The last get together was 3 summers ago. Other than that there is no bond. It seems the organization gets colder and more sterile by the day.

How are things in this regard where you live? More of the same?

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

We actually had one late last summer. We are by a beach so beach volleyball was main activity.

• blondie
    blondie

The rule in this area is the giver/host is responsible for any problems/sins that develop. It cannot be called a "congregation" event. Many jws don't want to risk losing privileges because of 2 people's discovery of each other in the bushes. Also can't have a big event either though some get away with it.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

Usually when people move and leave the congregation we'd have a gathering. Last one was quite a while ago. Some congregations are more sociable than others so it depends.

• BU2B
    BU2B

TTATTelder- Any rules on what you can wear to the beach where you are? Up here, the elders told a young married brother who is in good shape to put a shirt on so he would not "stumble" the sisters

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

BU2B,

No real rules that I can think of. Everybody was just wearing the normal ultra conservative attire. Also it was a windy, overcast day and had just recently rained, so the normal fun-in-the-sun wasn't in play.

My experience overall has been a reduction in these congregation events though. I think Blondie made some good points about why that may be.

I observe a general zombie-like feel to the friends overall. People are just going through the motions. The old confidence of the Franz 80's that I remember as a kid is long gone.

The cong is also such a mixed bag of education, financial means, personalities, and even mental/ emotional health. People usually find those they can deal with and associate occasionally with them.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

only for graduation parties.

• Lynnie
    Lynnie

Here in Seattle the 30 something age group seems to have a lot of parties and picnics but I think they are under the radar or they are the cool kids and

no one will mess with them since there are a couple of elder's kids in the group. Seems there is always some event, concert or cocktail hour they are going to.

• piztjw
    piztjw

Um...beach volleyball, but the women all had to wear skirts and high neck blouses. The men had to wear trousers and polo shirts. And don't forget the approved brown wing-tip lace up shoes for the men, andlow heels for the women.

Then there was the softball game, suits and ties.

But just to make sure everyone had a spiritual good time there were the Bible games, and much singing of Kingdom melodies.

Thank goodness there are no more of these kinds of gatherings. And I sure as Hades wouldn't go if there were. I'd rather jab myself in the eye with a sharp stick.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

the rules are if a congregation has time for a congregation picnic, they should instead be going out in field service.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit