UNITY vs CONFORMITY - discuss.

by disposable hero of hypocrisy 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

I've read the Walsh trial that indicates the societies stance of ' unity at all costs, even if we're wrong ' but that sounds more like conformity to me. So how do other religions or movements justify the range of beliefs within their respective movements? For example, the born again movement, a massive range of beliefs, but they don't insist on conformity. If there's a range of beliefs then surely some of them are false. How do they justify that? I know the witness quote would be that we should worship with "spirit and truth", but as our truth changes on a monthly basis then that argument applies equally to us. Or them. I don't know if I've put my point across at ALL, such is my confusion. Can anyone who DOES believe out there help me understand your position? DHOH

• barry
    barry

One early christian writer is quoted as saying 'in essentials unity in non essentials liberty in all things charity'

'

• Bugbear
    Bugbear

In Scandinavia, the leader (pastor) of a big Pentecostal movement, with over 20.000 people, just a week ago said that he know has turned into Catholicism. He has been the strong leader of this group for over 30 years and 19.999 people just sat down in their chairs and gazed with their jaws down looking like a birdhouse.

This Pastor was considered as a very strong leader and believer, and in many ways he was the reason for this movement to exist. Should all these 19999, now ask him if they should convert into Catholicism? (In fact I know e few of Lutheran evangelic priests in Sweden, who also has converted into Catholicism.)

Obviously people with a religious mind are not very Shure of what they do believe.(cognitive dissonance). But they are very interested in having the feeling of being in contact with god. Believing that a god will listen to their prayer, believe that god will protect them against their fear, violence, being hurt or death. It gives their brains enough, endorphins and the security that you can se in the eyes of a salvaged Pentecost people.

But the Idea of religion, god, spirits, ghosts, is mind blocking, and a “virus for the brain” (Peter Boghassian” .

Bugbear

• barry
    barry

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR32X7Xb7bg Find here an SDA minister i have great respect for. Des Ford was sacked for differing with the SDA church because of his beliefs on the unique doctrines of the SDA church but here he is still talking to an SDA congregation at an SDA university

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

Unity is when you are there by choice. Conformity is when you are forced to change or risk some sort of loss.

• Fernando
    Fernando

It seems to boil down to a mutually exclusive choice between "unity in doctrine" versus "unity in Christ".

The former always seems to end up being exclusive, supremacist and divisive (sectarian), whereas the latter is inclusive and unifying.

Interesting quote Barry, thanks for that. And yes that's a good summary lame and Fernando, it's funny how we as witnesses pride ourselves on our unity but can't see past the fact that it's enforced unity, not willing unity. And the fact that we actively criticise other faiths for practising interfaith, for being inclusive, unified DESPITE differences.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I truly believe it is theoretically possible to have differing beliefs and yet still be unified in a worthwhile common goal. Its called respect for anothers right to an opinion while not necessarily agreeing with their opinion. For instance we don't all have to believe in a God to help save the planet.

• humbled
    humbled

I t is true that we can belong to a group as long as we freely believe all that is said. But coersion of conscience is compromise to God anyway you look at it. So I left the JW "faith" because it destroys that freedom of conscience.

Doctrines and theology are terrible.

Jesus didn't make any demands to conform in that way. "...for he that is not against us is for us" --is not too tight a reign on discipleship, is it?

THAT - (where you quoted Jesus just then) is an OUTSTANDING point. Gonna have to see what the cdrom says about that verse....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit