Do any ex JW' s/ God believer's, Agnostics or Atheists believe in Karma? And WHY?

by rip van winkle 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Just reading a thread and the mention of karma popped up.( It happens, lol)

A lot of people believe in karma: what goes around comes around.

Some months ago, while on another exjw site, karma was mentioned and I thought it a little odd, as they are atheist. Had a hard time reconciling how non- believers believed in karma.

Anyway, would like to hear your thoughts on the subject.

Would you, god believers and non- believers please share whether you believe in karma and WHY?

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

Depends on your interpretation or definition of Karma. If, like a traditional Buddhist, you believe that every cause has an effect, than yes, as an agnostic I firmly believe that. It is, in fact, a widely held belief among most belief systems. Among Islam, Judaism, and Christianity, there is the "reap what you sow" mentality. For strict Buddhists, that is all karma is.

If, on the other hand, you believe that karma means that if you do something bad, then something bad is going to happen to you, then I would say no. Case in point, many politicians and many of the uber-wealthy consistently do things that someone would deem as "bad," yet, they continue on with the status quo. This would mean that the notion of karma is not accurate.

If, however, you believe that ULTIMATELY what you do in your life adds to your overall contentment and/or suffering, then karma is the reason.

Just a thought,

SOP

• cofty
    cofty

No of course not, karma is just an irrational desire to see order in a capricious world.

There are atheists who believe all sorts of whacky things.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I'm a firm believer in karma, i.e., we reap what we sow.

If we don't pay in this world, then certainly in the world to come.

Hebrews 9:27.

Sylvia

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The Universe, and all that happens in it, are totally random. There is no controlling force.

Humans love to look for patterns in things, and will quote plenty of examples of "Karma" if they wish to believe in a force such as is the common concept of Karma, what they forget, as said above, is the equal number of examples that simply do not fit, or as the Psalmist bemoaned all those years ago, "the wicked prosper".

• Bella15
    Bella15

Yeap, what you reap that you sow ...!!!

• cofty
    cofty

If we don't pay in this world, then certainly in the world to come.

The foundation of all superstitions.

Shit happens, life isn't fair, and then you die - THE END.

Enjoy it while it lasts, despite its random vicissitudes life is amazing.

• Syme
    Syme

There is a scientific 'Karma', so to speak: every life is destined to give life. And then die.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

No, I don't believe in karma -- no one is keeping score and making sure you get your just deserts. I am surrounded by people who claim to believe in karma. What I have noticed is that it gives them a fabulous excuse to not show compassion, not care about others. In fact, one person here told me that starving babies in Africa are paying for sins commited in another life. So, she doesn't have to suffer thinking about their suffering -- they deserve it. That is contemptible in my opinion.

• kaik
    kaik

No, I dont believe in karma. It defies the notion of free will and actually implement that there is a higher authority that keeps scores of your good and bad deeds and punishes/rewards you accordingly. It is the same belief in fate as was known in Greek and Roman times. Many people did horrible things to others without ever being punished (think of all these bad bosses), while good people seem to have all the bad luck. Karma is nonsense and it is not the same what you sawn you will reap (and that is disputable as well, think of all these people in position of trust).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit