The Birth of the Universe - Scientific Breakthrough

by cofty 81 Replies latest social current

• cofty
    cofty

Researchers working with a telescope at the South Pole beleive they have glimpsed light from the first "trillionth of a trillionth of a tillionth" of a second after the big bang.

A lot of work has still to be done to confirm the findings, but if it holds up it is one of the biggest discoveries EVER.

...inflation came with a very specific prediction - that it would be associated with waves of gravitational energy, and that these ripples in the fabric of space would leave an indelible mark on the oldest light in the sky - the famous Cosmic Microwave Background.

The BICEP2 team says it has now identified that signal. Scientists call it B-mode polarisation. It is a characteristic twist in the directional properties of the CMB. Only the gravitational waves moving through the Universe in its inflationary phase could have produced such a marker. It is a true "smoking gun".

Click here for more....

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

The scientists went with their G.U.T. feeling!!

So, inflation IS a good thing!

I like the RIPple effect most of all!

• snowbird
    snowbird

In the beginning ... The Big Bang!

There is so much yet to be discovered.

A few hours ago, I was reading about Neil deGrasse Tyson in People Magazine.

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

They're talking about that on the CBS evening news right now.

Sylvia

• Comatose
    Comatose

I read about this. So cool!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Nice, thanks for posting!

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Yes! Just reading this on the NYTimes. . . Fascinating stuff!

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

This incredible reach out into the very beginning is of absolutely no interest in Dubland. Its "in the beginning" before the creatiive days so it all fits ......doesn't it?

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Now THIS is spiritual....... reality is infinitely more beautiful and awe inspiring than any myth I swallowed as a kid.

• scary21
    scary21

I love this stuff. Science rules !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit