Jesus is his earthly name, Michael is his heavenly name

by bruh2012 31 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Great point Island Man!

Someone was offerred a part at the assembly in Georgia! He could do it then blame it on the 95 degree weather!

Hey did that CO forget Jesus is also three angels in the Revelations book? Another angel,mighty angel, fallen angel! Might be more! There was another one in the Daniels book in a foot note a might be Jesus!

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

One more point, if you review Daniels 10 I am not yet convinced who are the ones speaking and when,

and which one did Daniel seemed annoyed with.

For how can the servant of this my lord talk with this my lord? for as for me, straightway there remained no strength in me, neither is there breath left in me.

18 Then there came again(angel) and touched me one like the appearance of a man, and he strengthened me,

19 And said, O man greatly beloved, fear not: peace be unto thee, be strong, yea, be strong. And when he had spoken unto me, I was strengthened, and said, Let my lord speak; for thou hast strengthened me.(annoyed)

20 Then said he,(who?) Knowest thou wherefore I come unto thee? and now will I return to fight with the prince of Persia: and when I am gone forth, lo, the prince of Grecia shall come.

21 But I will shew thee that which is noted in the scripture of truth: and there is none that holdeth with me(who) in these things, but Michael your prince.

• blondie
    blondie

*** it-2 pp. 393-394 Michael ***

Scriptural evidence indicates that the name Michael applied to God’s Son before he left heaven to become Jesus Christ and also after his return. Michael is the only one said to be “the archangel,” meaning “chief angel,” or “principal angel.” The term occurs in the Bible only in the singular. This seems to imply that there is but one whom God has designated chief, or head, of the angelic host. At 1 Thessalonians 4:16 the voice of the resurrected Lord Jesus Christ is described as being that of an archangel, suggesting that he is, in fact, himself the archangel. This text depicts him as descending from heaven with “a commanding call.” It is only logical, therefore, that the voice expressing this commanding call be described by a word that would not diminish or detract from the great authority that Christ Jesus now has as King of kings and Lord of lords. (Mt 28:18; Re 17:14) If the designation “archangel” applied, not to Jesus Christ, but to other angels, then the reference to “an archangel’s voice” would not be appropriate. In that case it would be describing a voice of lesser authority than that of the Son of God.

In his prehuman existence Jesus was called “the Word.” (Joh 1:1) He also had the personal name Michael. By retaining the name Jesus after his resurrection (Ac 9:5), “the Word” shows that he is identical with the Son of God on earth. His resuming his heavenly name Michael and his title (or name) “The Word of God” (Re 19:13) ties him in with his prehuman existence. The very name Michael, asking as it does, “Who Is Like God?” points to the fact that Jehovah God is without like, or equal, and that Michael his archangel is his great Champion or Vindicator.

*** w60 3/15 pp. 187-188 pars. 14-15 Part 34—“Your Will Be Done on Earth” ***

Before 2 B.C. God’s only-begotten Son in heaven was called Michael, this name meaning “Who is like God?” When he emptied himself of his heavenly powers and his life was miraculously transferred to the womb of the virgin Jewess Mary and he was born and called Jesus, did he forfeit his heavenly name Michael? No! Before the birth of Jesus there are ten men in the nation of Israel who were listed with the name Michael, yet the Son of God was not to be known on earth by that name. “You are to call his name Jesus,” said the angel Gabriel to Mary his mother. (Luke 1:26-31; 2:21) So on earth it was not even hinted at that he had been Michael in heaven and “one of the chief princes.” Daniel 8:11, 25 (JP; AS) speaks of Jehovah God as “the prince of the host” and “the prince of princes.” Jehovah is the chiefest Prince, and with Him his Son Michael is “one of the chief princes.” He has become Prince of Peace.—Isa. 9:6.

15 When he died as the man Jesus Christ and was resurrected and went back to heaven, what was his proper name? Was it still or was it only Jesus Christ? No; it was not just his earthly human name. He resumed his heavenly name Michael. The name Jesus Christ was retained in order to show his identicalness with the humanborn Son of God on earth.

-----

So he is repeating a long believed WTS deception that is not often mentioned, like Jesus not being the mediator of the other sheep.

• wolfman85
    wolfman85

If the designation “archangel” applied, not to Jesus Christ, but to other angels, then the reference to “an archangel’s voice” would not be appropriate. In that case it would be describing a voice of lesser authority than that of the Son of God.

The WT should explain then, based on their reasoning , how does Jesus Christ will come down with the trumpet of God if he has a smaller range than God .

New American Standard Bible
    For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.

• Island Man
    Island Man

" Does any other religion teach that Michael and Jesus are the same? Or is it a 'point of difference' for the JW's?"

The Seventh Day Adventists also teach that Michael is Jesus.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

Are you sure the Seventh day Adventists teach this ?

News to me. Just another proof of how much doctrine the Watchtower

stole from the Adventists, starting with the soul not being immortal and

Hell being sleep. Preceded the Watchtower from before Russell was born.

As did the Daniel chronologies.

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Most SDA do not know this doctrine.

The old Eternal life book explains how they came up with Michael, this name meaning “Who is like God?

Archangel is worth looking up.

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.sdanet.org/atissue/books/qod/q08.htm

Not quite the same.

We emphatically reject the idea set forth in this question, and the position held by the Jehovah's Witnesses. We do not believe that Christ is a created being. We, as a people, have not considered the identification of Michael of sufficient prominence to dwell upon it at length either in our literature or in our preaching. But we do have clear views on the subject, and are prepared to set them forth. And our views concerning Michael, it might be added, have been held by various eminent scholars through the centuries. We are therefore not alone in our understanding.

We believe that the term "Michael" is but one of the many titles applied to the Son of God, the second person of the Godhead. But such a view does not in any way conflict with our belief in His full deity and eternal pre-existence, nor does it in the least disparage His person and work.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Another Watchtower doctrinal fail, with the special distinction of every verse put forth to support this idea end up shooting it down.

Meet Watchtower Jesus.

Watchtower Jehovah's Witnesses trinity three headed Jesus

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Very interesting Blondie! I walked away from the SDA because of what you posted! Although I was young and thought they considered him as the angel! I just assumed it was like the JWs! Darn they sure have nice folks. Still not for me.Thanks for clearing that point up.

Kurt Lol so true!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit