Well, it's March, and the College answers are coming in....

by CaptainSchmideo 15 Replies latest jw friends

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

Some of you may remember what I posted back in January:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/271786/1/My-Son-has-had-two-very-big-University-interviews#.UyRnOvldV2E

Well, it's now March, and we have been getting answers:

We already knew he was accepted to the two big State schools, so what we were waiting on were the "Dream" or "reach" schools.

And here are the answers, so far...

Embry-Riddle-Yes (but unless they offer generous financial aid, that's not going to happen)

Cal-Tech-No.

U of Chicago-Waitlisted.

And then, the one we had REALLY been waiting on......

MIT- YES!

This good news is tempered by the fact that my son's going will be based on what financial aid he can get. MIT seems to have a generous program, but we won't find out until Tuesday what he gets.

Oh, yeah, and the big bad news for all of this is that he did not get selected for the Gates Millenium Scholarship, which really put the butt hurt on us. Otherwise, we'd be more optimistic.

And, we are still waiting for the last school to reply. That is Princeton, and we will hear from them on March 27.

So, all in all, a great weekend!

Take that!, Gerritt Loesch!

• designs
  • Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Unless things have changed since my day, Ivies and comp send no one accepted away. 3/4 of my class was on some level of financial aid. I don't know how they do it in financial terms but they do. I paid less for college at an Ivy than if I had attended a state teachers' college. My regret is not replacing my grants for the next generation. I believe Princeton and MIT would easily pay for themselves in a number of ways over a life time.

It is an enviable position to be in. Furthermore, it would be crummy for these schools to accept students, knowing that the students could not attend. The only thing I had to do was work financial aid jobs. Since I was in Manhattan, my choices were virtually unlimited. The financial aid jobs enabled me to build a strong resume so I received a full merit scholarship for law school. I did not know the system at all.

I was just grateful that given my JW family background that they did not actively stop me. For someone who did all right by stumbling onto things, I did well. Part of me would have loved a family conference. I chose college based on the recommendation of a teen fashion magazine'

Your son is fortunate to have your support. He will certainly need it through college.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Take that!, Gerritt Loesch!

Ditto!

• Designer Stubble
    Designer Stubble

MIT - how excellent! Congrats - hope it works out well

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

Congratulations. Really good news.

Let us know what the answer is from Princeton.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Hey captian, are you looking to be a pilot/airport manager etc?

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

@nonjwspouse:

Nooooo....????

This thread is about my son. He wants to get into engineering.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

We are your JWN Family so thank you for keeping us in the "loop" with your son.

Wow. MIT.

Now, I am looking forward to March 27, when you will hear from Princeton.

Exciting.

LoisLane

• Thor
    Thor

Congratulations!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit