A Dummy's Guide to the 'This generation' doctrine

by Honesty 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

If you actually believe in the Bible and all that shit, then Adam and Methuselah prove that it was just one overlapping generation from the start of humankind until the flood. Adam died the year Methuselah was born, and he died the year of the supposed flood.

Food for thought!

zed the chimp

• kaik
    kaik

I had talk about the generation overalap with my siblings in the 1990's around the time I walked away. They had insisted that generation can span in multiple biogeneis, as long the belong to the same political system. They explained that Renaissance lasted 200 years and anyone alive between 1400's and 1600's were part of the same generation, the Renaissance generation. The same the believe that people alive today who knew people born before 1914 and will meet in the future younger generations born in 21st century are still a part of the same generation, the last one. So, in theory, the 1914 generation can be alive as well until 2214. My grandparents were born around 1900, and died in my teen years and my nieces and nephews born at the turn of the millenium and living for another 80 years are still part of the same generation.

Either way, the concept of the last generation is a problem for Christianity. Since the 1st century there was a debate what represent the last generation. I am sure the Apostles were not expecting to age and die and were hoping for promised Jesus return. Every generation of Christians since that time believed that they are the last one.

I heard the discussion on TV while ago why are Christians so preoccupied with the End of the Day and the asnwer was that they want to know how much time they have left on this earth so they can fully enjoy it with all these earthly pleasures.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Pathetic to see JW's attempting to explain their ludicrous and unscriptural, contrived and forced definitions of the meaning of 'generation', all to fit around their ludicrous and contrived 1914 chronology. In another 50 years they will still be trying to twist and rationalise 'generation' somehow to match 1914.

You have to look no further than the Matthew 1: 17 to work out how long a scriptural generation is when Jesus uttered his famous words:

"Thus there were fourteen generations in all from Abraham to David, fourteen from David to the exile to Babylon, and fourteen from the exile to the Messiah."

The average length of these 14 x 14 x 14 generations is no where near 100 years, not even half that, yet the Watchtower Society totally ignores this! Why? Because it utterly and scripturally refutes their lies.

So much for the Watchtower's arrogant boast that they are the only religion that lets the Bible interpret itself? Quite the contrary.

• Pronger1
    Pronger1

So a baby born today, in 2014, is in the same generation as someone born in 1974. Yeah ok. He is undergoing cognitive dissonance as is trying to explain it away.

• Sayswho
    Sayswho

1 Corinthians 14:33...

King James Bible
    For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

• The evidence posted here with this topic and a quick review of the religion around the world...show he is a god of confusion!
    • Even if you checked your mind at the door...this teaching is confussing.
    • If the lives of people depend on understanding this teaching (or the bible) then we are all as good as dead... But wait...all people will die someday!

SW

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

There is overwhelming evidence that I will get old and die without seeing the Big "A." 1914 is wrong. 1919 is wrong. So the "generation" dogma is also wrong. Could the Big "A" come? Sure. It won't be what the WTBTS has prophesied, if it happens. Can I do anything about it? Nope. I can re-take my life, and not be slave to men. That's my goal.

DD

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

This is a very sad example of someone under total control. If the GB said that red was yellow, he would be able to find a way to justify.

I have no answer to this other than, I wish him well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit