The first step toward apostasy

by Socrateswannabe 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Apostacy doesn't exist. It's a phoney label the watchtower® paedophile protection and real estate con uses to vilify those that are a threat to their income and power.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

The fallicy is called "slippery slope" I believe.

If you take too many tylenol, before long you will be whoring yourself out for crack......that kind of thing.

The purpose is not fact or even probable.....its simply to get you to stop using tylenol.

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

The first step towards apostasy against the Watchtower is masturbation.

• Socrateswannabe
    Socrateswannabe

Problemaddict, thanks for explaining this as the "slippery slope" fallacy. I couldn't figure that one out myself but it sounds right.

Moderators, how can I get the post from AlphaMan removed? I believe in freedom of speech but that is ridiculous. I don't believe that is quite up to JWN standards.

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

Sorry Soc.

You seem to not understand JWN humor or satire against the Watchtower. You do know that image was producted by the Watchtower, right? I find it hard to believe that that is the first time you have seen that image on JWN. You are right.....it is ridiculous, and that's why we use it here to show people how ridiculous the Watchtower religion is.

I do apologize if I have sincerely offended you. However I will not apologize if you are still an over-senitive JW.

• sseveninches
    sseveninches

WTF Soc? Freedom of speech is freedom of speech. If you don't like it, GTFO! His statement makes every bit of sense, and has a literal meaning for me personally.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

No... A drop in F/S is a visible symptom, not a cause.

Having read many stories on this forum, the first step for many people is being upset by some dumbo elder who "counsels" with hobnail boots on your feelings. One realises that these wonderful loving people are not all that they claim to be.

Then often a doctrinal change causes disquiet and you start to wonder how you could have been wrong if the "Spirit" was there.

Another question arises, perhaps in Field Misery, that is hard to answer, so one researches harder and outside the Society. Now the person is really concerned about it all....They muster the courage to search the net and they read, and they read and they read.......The scales fall off their eyes, the blinkers are gone.

Bingo ! an apostate is born !!!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Sorry... poor net response today..

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Sorry !

• cognisonance
    cognisonance

I'll take a stab... Slippery slop is probably the best fit, but I think this is also a case of Affirming the Conseqent.

"The first step toward apostasy is a drop in field service activity."

More formerly we could phrase this as (since the Watchtower is trying to apply that to you, the reader as a warning):

If a person is becoming an apostate their first step is not participating in field service.

You are beinging to not participate in field serivce

Therefore you are becoming an Apostate.

Compare this with:

If it's raining then the streets are wet.

The streets are wet.

Therefore, it's raining.

This is fallacious because it could be wet because it just finished raining, or it snowed/snowing and the snow melts, or it flooded, or a watermain broke, etc.

More formally, these statements can be summerized as:

If P then Q.

Q.

Therefore, P.

What is logically sound would be:

Modus PonensModus Tollens
    If p then q.
    p.
    Therefore, q.
    If p then q.
    Not-q.
    Therefore, not-p.

So back to the JW statement. These would be acceptable:

If a person is becoming an apostate their first step is not participating in field service.

You are becomming an appostate

Therefore you don't participate in field service

and

You are still fully active in field service

Therefore you aren't becoming an apostate.

But something tells me that looking at that last example, while logically sound, it's based on a premise that is probably also another logic fallacy, A hasty generalization. It could be possible the "first step" is something else (independent thinking, a scandel, intellectual honesty, etc) or that an "apostate" could be still going in field service to put up a facade.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit