Born-In Girls--Did You Have a Doll at KH

by Band on the Run 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• crazy2try
    crazy2try

I had the same experience growing up. But when my children were little, little, I did things a bit differently and had not issues with anyone saying anything.

I had a toddler and a new born. I would bring my toddler's kitchen booster seat with the tray attachment and let him color, snack, draw. When he got a little bit older, I had found cardboard bible story style books and allowed him to look through those. I didn't care that they were not JWs. No one said anything. I think I had the look of....I dare you to say anything.

• emeth
    emeth

in the kingdom halls i visit nowadays little children (aged 1-3) have toys with them

• emeth
    emeth

in the kingdom halls i visit nowadays little children (aged 1-3) have toys with them

• blondie
    blondie

1-3? Why the cutoff at 3?

*** km 1/01 p. 1 par. 3 Be a Good Listener ***

Teach Your Children to Listen: Children need spiritual instruction. (Deut. 31:12) In ancient times “all intelligent enough to listen” among God’s people had to be attentive as the Law was read to them. (Neh. 8:1-3) If parents are involved in the meetings and pay close attention, their children are likely to do the same. It is not wise to bring toys or coloring books to keep children amused.

*** be p. 16 par. 4 “Pay Attention to How You Listen” *** At home, arrange times for your young children to sit quietly and read or look at the pictures in our Christian publications. At the meetings, avoid using toys to keep young ones occupied. As was true in ancient Israel, so today young ones are present “in order that they may listen and in order that they may learn.”(Deut. 31:12) Where practical, some parents provide even very young children with personal copies of the publications being considered. As children get a little older, help them prepare to have a share in programs that call for audience participation.

• emeth
    emeth

@blondie because children aged 1-3 do not comprehend (look at the phrase about being intelligent enough in your own quote) the public talk and watchtower study and tear up publications. older children dont and are usually aware of what is happening, make their first answers at the watchtower study etc etc

I have a boy of 2 years old. I gave him a tablet to keep him busy with digital coloring book, some games, some movies and the wt kids animations and songs. it keeps him busy and quiet.

• Da.Furious
    Da.Furious

We have several kids in our KH. Age range between 2-5ys. All bring toys, dolls, colouring books, and recently tablets for movies of all sorts including educational material.

Never seen or heard any elder being fussed about it or a local need about this issue.

TBH, i dont see any problem with this. Keeps them quite and parents dont need to punish (abuse) the child during the meetings - i can still recall the times i was taken to the back room because i turned my head!

• brainmelt
    brainmelt

I wasn't allowed to bring toys when I was a child but I always brought a bag with books, colouring in books, toys, snacks etc for my children to keep them busy. They were 2 and 4 when we stopped going. Meetings were a nightmare, so long and boring for them.

• blondie
    blondie

emeth, yet the WTS has the attendants count all living humans present even newborn babes...that's what every MS and elder told me...

I can believe that the elders have eased up now that they have small children and grandchildren.....but it has not always been and my quotes are the most current available.

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

I have only seen it once and they would bring coloring books, snacks and other things. He is an elder now and at the time a MS but she was newly baptized.

We did have a sister who was a pioneer and elders wife who brought her lap top to the meeting to do work. She would set it up in one of the extra rooms and sit there during the meeting. She was on call with her job from what I understand but boy did they get the complaints about it. She kept doing it but finally stopped and I am sure it was the CO who put an end to it.

• FirstLastName
    FirstLastName

I dont know how my mom did it. My brother and I are two years apart and my dad was an elder. I cannot imagine how stressful it was to keep and infant and toddler quiet for 2 hours. I do however; remember quite a few smacks on the hands and walks back to the bathrooms for a private beating. I think as a kid, you learn to let your mind wander and daydream, instead of earning moms wrath.

I vaguely remember some coloring books, but they must have been nixed pretty young, cause I mostly remember flipping through the Book of Bible Stories trying to find something interesting to look at.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit