This will blow you away - if the moon were the size of a pixel.

by poppers 13 Replies latest social current

• poppers
    poppers

This shows the scale of our solar system in a way that is a little more meaningful to our puny minds.

http://joshworth.com/dev/pixelspace/pixelspace_solarsystem.html

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

Link works fine.

Amazing, the earth isn't even a bacteria on the back of a flea on the back of a dog in the universe. And even more amazing is that is just our solar system which is one of many inside our galaxy which is also just one of many.

That was one of the things that made me stop believing that there was some benevolent God out there looking out for us. At least in the sense we try to explain him.

I love how big the sun is to the left (if you click on the little icons at the top it will automatically scroll to each planet)

• poppers
    poppers

Yup, this just shows a few light hours. The size of the universe is staggering, beyond human conception. Same goes for atomic scale, which this link also comments on toward the end.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

That was cool. Thanks for sharing!

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

1) The theory that the entire Universe was made so our Solar System could exist so that humans could live is retarded.

2) Thinking that we are alone in the Universe is also retarded.

DD

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

When I see how small the Earth is in relation to everything else, it just increases my feeling that we are special and unique. It's like finding a single diamond in an entire planet's worth of diamond mines.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Psalm 4 expresses my sentiments so very well.

Sylvia

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

That was one of the things that made me stop believing that there was some benevolent God out there looking out for us. At least in the sense we try to explain him.

I recall feeling the same way when faced with the realization that we are incredibly insignificant. It is clear to me that a few thousand years ago when man developed the belief in God, humans had no idea of the the size of the universe. Most likely they thought the earth was all there is, and as such, it would make sense that a God would be focusing on our planet consistently.

Another thought that developed in my mind is the fact that we (planet earth) are simply one of the planets in the many galaxies and solar systems that exist, who happens to have the right conditions for the development of life, and that possibly many other thousands of planets in maybe other solar systems in different galaxies happen to have the same conditions. If it reasonable to think that life developed in the same manner than it did here, and because of that i believe that we are not alone in the universe.

Witnesses often point at planet earth as evidence of a creator because it's at the right distance from the Sun, with the right athmosphere, etc etc. But in reality out of the trillions and trillions of planets in the universe, some are bound to have these conditions - even if it's just a few thousand.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

redvip2000, if you were walking in nature and came across a diamond laying on the ground, would you grab it up and take it home, or say, "Eh. There are probably a ton of diamonds around here, so this one is theoretically insignificant", and keep walking?

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

@Apognophos

Well, if you are going to put it that way, let's at least make it comparatively honest. There is around 6,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets in the visible universe

So to answer your question, if i was walking in a place which had 6,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 diamonds and i saw one on the ground, i wouldn't even bother picking it up in the first place. Hope that answers your question.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit