Chat with Elder, how would you reply?

by awakening 37 Replies latest jw friends

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

"The GB is imperfect", what a f@(king cop out!!!please forgive the bad language.the times I've heard that.

The GB is just a middle man to God.

• Island Man
    Island Man

Your line of reasoning could be thus:

Why would Jehovah allow them to teach error if he's directing them with his spirit? How are they any better off being directed by his spirit if he still lets them come to erroneous conclusions? Isn't that a defeat of the whole purpose of directing them by his spirit? Doesn't Jehovah give holy spirit to his servants to make up for their imperfections and limitations? The only how I see a spirit directed organization making so many errors is if they're refusing the guidance Jehovah provides by his spirit.

Another line of reasoning:

Does the bible have any doctrinal errors? Yet, it was written by imperfect men directed by God's spirit, correct? Does it make sense that Jehovah would go through the trouble of having imperfect men write an inerrant collection of books only to later require all his worshippers to be dependent on the interpretations of a spirit-directed organization which he allows to make erroneous interpretations of the inerrant collection of books? Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of the bible being made inerrant to begin with? A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. If Jehovah went through the trouble of inspiring an inerrant book it makes sense that he wants people to have accurate knowledge and he would therefore use his spirit to safeguard his spirit directed organization from giving inaccurate interpretations of the bible.

• Bella15
    Bella15

Weird example the one he uses ... that was a prophecy what he is referring to. Jesus knew he was going to be betrayed by one of the 12. He didn't get it wrong. It has nothing to do with the point he wants to make.

Also, I don't think the bible tell us that "after heartfel prayer" Jesus picked Judas. I think he is adding to the story ... something they always do ...

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

Good stuff Island Man. Under normal circumstances, that would be enough to cause a few heads to explode.

• Jon Preston
    Jon Preston

Without Judas Jesus wouldnt have been captured and crucified....therefore prophecy would not be fulfilled....he knew ahead of time Judas woukd betray him......

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

they always have an excuse, Jah will fix, jah will resurrect, wait on Jah, don't run ahead of jah. But the Mormons, catholics and other christians cant use these same excuses, makes sense no?

• snakeface
    snakeface

Here's an illustration: Suppose I'm in middle management with authority to hire. I hire someone, knowing he will steal and do other bad things. I do this to prove to onlookers that I have the superior wisdom and mgt abilities to run my department in spite of this person's misconduct.

Not very sound reasoning, is it? Same reasoning as saying Jehovah/ Jesus uses imperfect men and know these will sin, yet they will carry out their purpose anyway.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Jehovah allows his spirit directed people to get things wrong and this is no reflection on their status as spirit directed!

Did he actually say that?

That is so incredibly stupid.

So how can we ever know if what they (I'm assuming he means "The GB/FDS") teach is right or wrong? We can't.

And so it immediately becomes incumbent upon each and every one of us as individuals to decide for ourselves which teachings/doctrines/practices to accept and which to reject.

In every relevant account in the Bible, individuals were never excused from wrong behavior by using what has come to be knows as "The Nuremberg Defense": We were just following orders.

It didn't work out so well for the Israelites that made the Golden Calf at the foot of mount Sinai.

Indeed, virtually every "hero" in the Bible narrative acted contrary to the status quo and the direction of those in authority, because the majority of the time those in authority were NOT acting righteously.

Jesus plainly and clearly spoke out about the error and hypocrisy of the religious leaders of his day. He was an apostate. It got him killed.

He is my hero.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit