Chat with Elder, how would you reply?

by awakening 37 Replies latest jw friends

• awakening
    awakening

Had a sit down chat with an elder who is aware of my doubts. We were on the subject of new light, i was saying that if the org changes a teaching then the old teaching was wrong and cannot qualify as truth at the time it was taught, so where did the falsehood come from?

His response was the GB is imperfect!! I said that its a cop out when things they teach as truth are spirit directed, but when they get it wrong its imperfection. His reply was that Jesus after heartfelt prayer selected Judas. So Jehovah allows his spirit directed people to get things wrong and this is no reflection on their status as spirit directed!

• happy@last
    happy@last

Judas wasn't put in charge of feeding spiritual food to millions of people would be my tactful reply. I am not aware of Judas having any followers so the argument has no legs

• snakeface
    snakeface

Bad analogy.

Guided by Holy Spirit Jesus selected Judas, then Judas chose to become bad. Jesus had no control over what Judas chose to do after having been selected.

Guided by Holy Spirit, GB teaches thus-and-so...but then, does the teaching choose to become wrong? Or was it wrong all along?

• snakeface
    snakeface

I guess what that elder is saying is that the GB is actually the "Judas class".

Just as Jesus selected Judas, Jesus (and Jehovah) selects the GB. Then just as Judas chose to become bad, the GB chose to teach falsehood.

• KateWild
    KateWild

It's a paradox, the GB or Elders are guided by holy spirit but they are imperfect. This statement gives people cognitive dissonance and causes mental distress and the statement is contradictory.

Either they are guided by holy spirit or they're imperfect. The truth is WT is full of men making mistakes and hurting people by following harmful policies. Stick around and keep posting

Kate xx

• jgnat
    jgnat

Well then there is no divine command to follow imperfect men. I can lean on my own imperfect understanding.

• awakening
    awakening

His point was that Jehovah would have known what was in Judas heart but allowed Jesus to select him, thus proving that Jehovah allows his people to make mistakes but will sort it out in line with his purpose!

• caroline77
    caroline77

truth is truth and cannot change. He is admitting that your GB sometimes tells you things that are not true.

• minimus
    minimus

What a dumbass.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Even though the WT teaches otherwise, the bible teaches some are predestined. Judas was predestined to do that.

Romans the entire chapter of 9 goes into much depth about this subject in vs 10-13 it brings out how before Jacob and Esau were born it was foretold/predestined what would happen to them, in vs 16-18 how Pharoh was to be obstinate so that God may show his power, vs 19 to 25 how God is the potter and how he has the right to make vessels(people) for honorable use and some for dishonorable use.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit