Baptisms only at regional ( district ) assemblies from 2014 / 15 service year?

by dozy 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

designs - "I have heard of CAs with one person baptized."

I have been to CAs with only one person baptized.

It's pretty disquieting initially, but there's always loyalists who'll interpret it as "the preaching work is finally coming to a close, therefore the End must be really Close".

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

mynameislame - "The JW's baptising younger and younger people is just like a company that cuts costs to the bone to make their bottom line look better. It only lasts so long before it catches up with you."

Good catch.

That reminds me; not too long ago, someone here (can't remember who) wondered if the pressure to dunk 'em young might have to do with more and more net-savvy teens and tweens learning TTATT.

If they aren't baptized and leave the Organization, being unbaptized (and therefore not DFed) is a loophole that many JW family members exploit to stay in regular contact. However, if they're already baptized but find out about TTATT a few years later, and decide to fade, DA, or get DFed for "apostacy", those same JW family members will feel compelled to shun him or her, thusly being insulated from TTATT themselves.

A bit machiavellian, but not outside the realm of possibilty.

• JeffT
    JeffT

The early christians seemed to use any body of water for baptism at any time a person wanted to be baptised.

For a number of years my wife and I attended an independent evangelical church. I spent some time working on their outreach program. We worked an hour or so on Tuesday evenings contacting people who filled out an interest card the previous Sunday. One night one of the teams came back in with a fellow that wanted to be baptized, so we all went down to the baptismal pool and watched him get dunked. The previous Sunday was his first time in the church, he did not have to wait for anything, answer questions, meet with elders etc. He said he wanted it so we did it.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Well, the WTBTS needs the person to answer all the contract questions correctly, because you are legally "signing away" your life to the publishing corporation. It keeps them from being legally liable for the stuff they impose like shunning, and abstaining from blood etc...

If I remember correctly, a big line they use is that YOU knew all the rules and chose to be a member.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit