Donations - how much is normal?

by Frazzled UBM 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• KateWild
    KateWild

emeth,

fraz is not a JW. He is doing what is best for his whole family according to what society has taught him. My ex is a JW in good standing. He lies to the judges, police and social workers about me so he can stop me seeing my son. He has stopped all contact now. He also beat my daughter so bad she sustained a black eye and that why we separated in the first place.

JW men are not better husbands and fathers. emeth I think your eyes are closed to the realities of what some JWs are really like and that the WT is all about the money. There is so much injustice in WT.

Kate xx

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Hi Kate

Thanks for your comments. Of course I want her out but I am not going to force the issue and can live with the status quo. I married her for better or worse and love her unconditionally so I will not stop loving her even if she can't extract herself - which I accept she may not be able to do purely form a social/family point of view. She is a victim. But she also behaves like a child in many respects because of her cult upbringing so that means sometimes I need to treat her like a child to manage her behaviour.

Fraz

• jgnat
    jgnat

I am glad she opened up about where that money went to (new roof). It sounds like there's some pride in there (she lost the argument). The cognitive dissonance is strong in her.

• emeth
    emeth

@frazzled someone who loves his wife would not say things like 'You and your family are depending on my money' and critisise her because of her education. Besides that most of the JW's make a decent living and have more than enough money to care for themselves. The window washing stories are not the reality. Most of them just have other regular jobs. And there is no prohibition on higher education. People can decide themselves what they will do. What is emphasised is that we can make only one thing the most important in our lives and that persuing a career will cost a lot of time an effort. Time is something you have only once, so we are advised to use it wisely.

Making the Kingdom of God and proclaiming the Good News a priority and most important thing in life is wise in our eyes and foolish in the eyes of the world.

We dont care about what others think. We do things the way we think its best.

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Thanks emeth - Unfortuantley it is a reality that I am the family banker. If not for the money I earn my wife would not be able to provide the substantial financial support she gives to her family. 'You and your family are depending on my money' I doubt the people on the board would agree that the guidance from the GB about education has left them making a decent living. In most cases the advice from the GB about higher education has left them with a substantial handicap that they struggle to overcome once they realise they have been misled and short-changed by the GB.

'And there is no prohibition on higher education. People can decide themselves what they will do.' This is a typical piece of Orwellian double-speak. They create the illusion of choice and then make it pretty clear what choice a 'good' Witness would make. In fact they also make it cler that it is Satan that inspires people to seek a career and go to university. That was very clear in the recent WTS study on the subject:

Paragraph 11:“Satan promotes the idea that a career in his world will satisfy a person, but Christians should take into account the importance of satisfying their spiritual need…Dedicated Christianslive for God’s will, not Satan’s… However, many of today’s educational courses allow little time for a servant of Jehovah to meditate and to satisfy his spiritual need.”

The GB’s attitude to higher education was also set out clearly in a March 6, 2012 Letter to Elders

“Some of our brothers are pursuing higher education, feeling that they can acquire a measure of financial security. As you are aware, the educational system varies from country to country. In the United States, for example, public schools offer 12 years of basic education. Thereafter, students may choose to attend university for four or more years, leading to a bachelor's degree or to postgraduate studies for careers in medicine, law, engineering, and so forth. Such university education is what we mean when the term "higher education" is used.—w05 10/1 pp. 26-31.

Of course, education is an essential part of Christian life, and we highly value it. Education equips us to care for our responsibilities, both material and spiritual. (1 Tim. 5:8) However, Satan, the master of deception, has made the pursuit of higher education dangerous for a Christian. (2 Cor. 11:14) Many of our young people have been misled from the faith or have become involved in immorality as a result of pursuing higher education. The "fight for the faith" is especially challenging when one leaves the good influence of his home and congregation and places himself in the university environment. (Jude 3) Besides involving bad associations, higher education often erodes faith in Jehovah God and in the Bible [what they really mean here is faith in the organisation]. All must weigh carefully the disadvantages and any perceived advantages of pursuing higher education before determining what they will do. Christians must remember that the purpose of any supplementary education should be to praise Jehovah and serve him as much and as effectively as possible, while providing for material needs.—Eccl. 12:13.”

I love the way the GB has turned ignorance into a virtue and knowledge and criticial thinking into a vice. emeth - Wake up and smell the coffee!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Emeth, be careful with the royal "we". You can authoritatively speak of your own commitments and emotions. But you cannot speak for what is in another's head. I find it interesting that you speak of "making" the Kingdom of God. Do you mean acheiving the award, or physically building it?

• talesin
    talesin

And there is no prohibition on higher education. People can decide themselves what they will do. What is emphasised is that we can make only one thing the most important in our lives and that persuing a career will cost a lot of time an effort. Time is something you have only once, so we are advised to use it wisely.

Well, thanks for the belly laugh! *wiping tears from my eyes* Are you a complete hypocrite or seriously challenged in your comprehension skills? The WT has prohibited higher education since the 60s (I can't speak to pre-60s as it was before my time).

And here's a question for you, emeth. You said: 'Time is something you have only once" ........... so, does this mean you are not looking forward to Eternal Life on a Paradise Earth? HMMMMM?????? Do I sense that you are 'spiritually weak'? Keep reading the forum ..... :))

Making the Kingdom of God and proclaiming the Good News a priority and most important thing in life is wise in our eyes and foolish in the eyes of the world.

So, when do you plan to move to, let's say, China? To preach where the 'need is great'? Have you truly made the Good News your priority? HMMMMM? Unless, of course, you are already serving J******* full time. In that case, my apologies.

We dont care about what others think. We do things the way we think its best.

Tut, tut! smh ... have you not read the Society's directives on how to dress, the length of men's haircuts or if you are a 'sister', the length of your skirt, etc., etc. ? If by 'we', you mean Jehovah's Witnesses, then indeed you should care about how the world sees you. The Society has made it very clear that the world's perception of their members is extremely important. Appearances mean a great deal to the cult leaders.

It seems like you haven't quite 'gotten the script', imnsho.

Besides that most of the JW's make a decent living and have more than enough money to care for themselves.

Okay, this doesn't even deserve a rebuttal.

Fraz .... you just gotta love the apologists! hahha

Stay strong and loving, as you obviously are. It's a tough row to hoe, and jgnat, TD and several others here, have great advice for UBMs. Marriage is tough in the best matches, and to have this between you ... well, my heart goes out to you.

t

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Thanks for the support tailspin

• cantleave
    cantleave

We used to donate 30 quid a month to the WWW, we were amonst the top contributors in quite a wealthy congregation.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

She confessed that the £800 she had withdrawn she had sent to her father to fix the roof on their house.

I said that's fine I don't have a problem with you helping your family financially..... Frazzled UBM

@frazzled you dont sound like a loving husband at all.....Emeth

........................ Another Day for Emeth on JWN

..................................................................................  photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit