Jehovahs witnesses dont have the name of GOD right so how can they be his witnesses

by smiddy 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

Just think when they get to heaven and say but we preached about you Jehovah!

God looks a them and says huh who's Jehovah?

I think that might have been one of the things in the back of my mind that always kind of bothered me.

Even the dubs admit that Jehovah may not be the exact translation but they use it anyway. Now if I were the jealous God that Jehovah is made out to be I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be happy about being called by the wrong name for all those years.

• designs
    designs

Its the same scew ball type of reasoning I hear from Christians- I like Jesus but the God of the OT not so much, and its like but isn't your Jesus suppose to be God and therefore the God of the OT...

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Many people use the name Jehovah. It is widely acknowledged that is is the acceptable form of God's name in the English language. However, even they, IN THEIR OWN BIBLE, acknowledge that it is NOT the proper pronunciation of God's name. So, they knowingly use an incorrect pronunciation. The main issue here is that they claim to have and uphold the truth in all things, thus:

1. They make a HUGE deal of restoring God's name in the Bible, then REFUSE to use the PROPER one

2. They make a HUGE deal of making God's name known in their ministry, then REFUSE to use the PROPER one

3. They make a HUGE deal of saying they, and only they, are the true religion and God's mouthpiece, but then refuse to use his PROPER hame

4. And this one gets me the most... The ones who push JEHOVAH forward in their literature claim to be of the 144,000. Revelation 14:1 says: Then I saw, and look! the Lamb standing on Mount Zion, and with him 144,000 who have his name and the name of his Father written on their foreheads.
    How can they have his name written on their foreheads and REFUSE TO USE IT?????

They make the argument that if we use that name, then we should use the Hebrew names of Jeremiah, Isaiah, etc. This is a weak argument. First, those people are NOT the sovereign of the universe. Second, nowhere do these people say that their names are at all important. But, God does, and so did his Son.

Off my soapbox now...

• designs
    designs

leaving- So do you use the Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek spellings and pronounciations only.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

@designs, when praying, yes, I do, or I simply say "Father", as Christ instructed at Matt 6:9.

The appendix in the NWT states (as to their argument as to why they use JEHOVAH):

In 1930 scholar A. F. Kirkpatrick made a similar point regarding the use of the form “Jehovah.” He said: “Modern grammarians argue that it ought to be read Yahveh or Yahaveh; but JEHOVAH seems firmly rooted in the English language, and the really important point is not the exact pronunciation, but the recognition that it is a Proper Name, not merely an appellative title like ‘Lord.’”

I personally use Yahveh. It's probably spelled Jahveh as the "J" was used in older english, but had a "Y" sound, but phonetically, it's spelled Yahveh. Some who say Yahweh forget that the "w" is pronounced with a "v" sound. So, I'm spelling it out phonetically.

Here's an interesting link on the topic:

http://hebrew4christians.com/Names_of_G-d/YHVH/yhvh.html

• designs
    designs

And so saying these names this way does what exactly.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

For me, I personally prefer to call God by the closest understanding of the pronunciation of his name as possible when I'm talking to him. It's as simple as that. If a person who was of Spanish or Mexican descent was named Miguel, which would they prefer to be called? Michael (because it's popular in English) or by their real name, Miguel?

My point in my earlier post was that this particular religion is criticized for using the name JEHOVAH. Their reasoning is, in essence, simply because it's popular in English. Why do they care what popular opinion is on this point? They don't care when it comes to blood transfusions, celebrating holidays, even putting this name in the Greek Scriptures in places even scholars say it shouldn't go. So why go with popular opinion on this?

• designs
    designs

Well the thing is among certain circles of Evangelicals, in particular, saying "Jesus" is extremely important like your eternity is on the line. Its just another version of old superstitions about names and formulas that keep people in bondage to gods and religions.

• jamclark
    jamclark

Once Rutherford was firmly established with his doctrine in place, he wanted to separate his Bible Students from Russell's Bible Students (as in groups that preferred Russell's temperment compared to Rutherford). As such, he used a verse and came up with Jehovah's witnesses (small w until about 1975).

Now the Mormons go on missionary trips or for a few years. Thus they "witness" in spreading the Mormon doctrine. So the Jehovah's Witnesses spread the JWorg doctrine (aka Watchtower Bible & Tract Society doctrine). And similar with other groups. Certainly a JW is not going to witness for Yahwey or Yahuah.

The odd thing is that they emphasise increasing knowledge and refinements. Yet as posted above, continue to use the name Jehovah despite the facts there are no J or V sounds in the ancient Hebrew language. And when Rutherford adopted the "Jehovah" name, the sacred name movement had started with understanding what His name would be in English (from the revived Hebrew language, which started in the late 1800s, now Israeli Hebrew).

So by using the name Jehovah, they don't have the truth.

By using the name Jesus, they don't have the truth.

By not keeping the Shabbath (when and how to observe), they don't have the truth.

They have the truth-like lies through, which shatan excels at. Thus they are a daughter of the Harlot, like all other Christian groups. The key being services on a Sunday.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Oh, Designs, you have the pronounciation down. They do something obscene to Jesus.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit