Enter the Power Couple, assume the position .

by sparrowdown 17 Replies latest jw friends

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I think there has always been your average garden variety pioneer couples and Mr and Mrs COBE and back in the day these tended to be a little bit dorky the wife -homely, the husband -fatherly, they shopped at thrift stores and lived in someone elses garage. But as competition for a slice of the power pie has ramped up over the years what we have now seems to be a whole new ball game.

Does ultimate power lie with the men, the "family heads"? What about the so called "neck that turns the head" the women behind the men what part do they play? This question has always intrigued me and my personal journey has led me to my own conclusions on this but what brought this to my attention was a case in my own cong that I found disturbing to say the least.

There was a young sis disfellowshipped in her teens for immorality with a worldly boy. They get married, she gets reinstated and "brings him in to the truth". Within a couple of short years he gets appointed,first ms then elder then service overseer. They are the darlings of the congregation. The ultimate power couple. Local heroes, at the top of the totem pole both socially and theocratically. A truly meteoric rise to "success" WT style.

Before long though it becomes clear a monster has been created. A hungry beast that is always demanding its food, a steady diet of obeisance, praise and attention but this beast is never full. You are either for the beast or against it there is no neutral ground. So quickly it finds plenty of minions, sycophants and henchmen. Anyone not willing to supply the beast with praise is considered an enemy. The beast has a strangle hold on the cong and my heart breaks before, during and after every meeting.

I realised though this is only possible because there is a much larger beast. The one which created the petrie dish needed to spawn this one. The beast we all refer to as Mother the GB.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi sparrowdown, About 2000 years ago a carpenter came to the same conclusion about the Jewish leaders as you have come to about the WTBTS's leaders. Fade from the WTBTS as soon as you can.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

True and False Prophets

Mt 7:15 “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.

True and False Disciples

21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Thanks Robert, fading and loving it. sparrow

• Fernando
    Fernando

Welcome sparrowdown!

Boy have the Watchtower done you a favour and shot themselves in the foot at the same time.

Please keep committing the scandalous crimes of thinking, speaking, reading, writing and reasoning.

I like your posts.

But your last paragraph in the OP above...

Priceless, sad and true all at once.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Greetings Fernando

I m not about to stop thinking anytime soon it feels too good to have my own mind back.

I really missed it while it was in getting washed.

cheers

sparrowdown

• KateWild
    KateWild

sparrow,

Thank you for your experience, it is not uncommon to find this in congs all over the world. Sis COBE is running some of the congregations and basking in the adulation of her position. Some people just love power. Power corrupts and absolute power coruupts absolutly. I hope you are free from this world now

Take care Kate xx

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

Well thought out opening post Sparrow.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Thanks for your concern KateWild.

I am in the process of fading so a little ways to go before

I reach the end of the tunnel. When i was still trying desperately to make sense of everything

I used to think I must be imagining all of these problems it is very liberating to find I am not crazy after all.

I have noticed you seem to be a caring person and after what you must have been through from the borg

that is quite an accomplishment to leave with your humanity still in tact. Well done you!

Cheers

sparrow

I will thank you also Sir Heartofaboy

It is still a scary process posting sometimes I m worried I over think things.

Also I only have limited private computer time so I cant always reply straight away

but when I do and find someone has replied it makes my little heart glad.

Cheers

sparrow

• Fernando
    Fernando

Just bumping this very apt description of the power mongering clergy that the Watchtower breeds so well and so routinely.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I was in for so many years that I saw many who were like ths couple described in the O.P

I also saw many of them eventually leave ! The sad thing is, I have never run in to any of them, since my own waking-up.

I would like to see if they still retain the same repugnant and arrogant attitudes, even though they have left the W.T.

I guess, if deep down any of them have a good heart, they may be duly humbled ? I fear that some of them that I knew may not be so very different from when they were in.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit