Do You Honestly Believe That You Would Have Officially Left The JW Religion If They Didn't Shun You?

by minimus 32 Replies latest jw friends

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I would have NEVER been a JW if I wasn't forced to go by my mom.

• fiddler
    fiddler

If they stopped shunning and people could talk freely the religion would fall apart. This is their last line of defense against reality. They'll not give up shunning.

In answer to your question, shunning or not shunning did not factor into my leaving. I would have left anyway.

• jam
    jam

Yes, if wasn't for the shunning I would still be in Matrix (brain dead).

I believed that I wasn't good enough to be A JW.

When I was DF in 1976, Personally I didn't know a of anyone getting

DF. After a few years of seeing the ugly side

of shunning by family members, that started my investgation into the borg.

The best thing that happen to me, shunning.LOL

• bnybyt
    bnybyt

Yes, I do.

I-Do-Honestly-Believe-That-I-Would-Have-Officially-Left-The-JW-Religion-If-My-Family-Wouldn't-Shun-Me

• smiddy
    smiddy

Shunning didnt play any part in my leaving , it was more of the deception and manipulation of people that got me questioning the whole thing.

smiddy

• minimus
    minimus

Nobody likes being lied to.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I just wanted to maximize the amount of time and resources they would waste trying to track me down. Besides giving them the maximum of false hope. That would waste resources needed to take care of other matters--worrying about me might, for instance, allow 15 or 20 people to get away with fornication, or allow one or 2 to get away with it and embolden 15 or 20 more to do other things. Plus, everyone thinking I might be out for field circus might be hoping for me to go out, only to be let down. In the beginning, I showed up just enough to give false hope. Maybe that would move some idiot to pray that I would be out in field circus, wasting joke-hova's time so Satan can infiltrate other areas of the congregation or even the Vatican.

• minimus
    minimus

The Wiz provides the elders free exercise. Lol

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I would have probably left far sooner if not for fear of shunning.

I suspect I'm not the only one, either.

• done4good
    done4good

I am not entirely sure this question is relevant to what the JW religion actually "is".

The JW religion is a social meme with very specific attributes that allow it to exist. One of those principal attributes is the shunning policy. If this were removed, the product that is the JW religion would either not exist, or would be something very different from what we know. The whole of something is not really the sum of its parts, but rather the product of the interaction of those parts, along with the environment it operates within, (society at large).

I doubt very much I, or most here who have been a JW for any part of adulthood, would have been one long without the shunning policy. As a result, the organization manages to keep members, (therefore exist), because of it.

d4g

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit