Is the Watchtower Destroying All Thinking Skills of New Witness, Compare them to when you were in the Organization!

by RottenRiley 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Wulf
    Wulf

JWs never learnt critical thinking skills from their org. I mean even the most cursory glance over Rutherford, Russel and Franz's writings is embarrassing, to say the least.

They do seem to be dumbing down even more, which I imagine is the result of their whole paradigm no longer having any relevance in modern realities. I mean you could still make the argument that literature and knocking on people's doors had some effect or face validity in the 1940s; now it's truly bizarre. But it's always been a massive pile of ignorance.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Like BOTR My memories go back to the late 1950's and mid 1960's I can honestly say nothing has really changed re thinking skills we were for the most part not involved with reading anything other then official WTBTS books and magazines. We were as dumb as posts because all of the materials we studied was sub par.

When we used to tell an interested person that we had researched other religions we meant we had skimmed over the other religions by flipping through the quick snapshots presented by the WT.

I don't remember an assembly, a talk or a publication that opened my eyes or heart or stimulated thinking skills. I don't remember a single conversation with a JW about literature.

I also remember that JW's of that era were very interested in health, vitamins and supplements. My mother valued Prevention Magazine over the WT. A lot of JW's were obsessed with living forever their whole belief was like believing in the fountain of youth.

• steve2
    steve2

jwfacts, I wouldn't say JWs were forced not to think or do research. It may be correct that a few were, depending on their family or local congregations, but the majority are simply not inclined to think or do research.

• RottenRiley
    RottenRiley

The Watchtower is trying harder to keep its followers in a constant state of anxiety and fear, blind obedience and compliance to the whims of crazy old men. Jehovah's Witnesses are terrified to ask the questions about their Truth because the reality is too painful to accept if we are correct the Organization has no clue what period of time we live in.

How did the Watchtower pull off the biggest religious scam by telling everyone "Look the Kingdom of Jesus Christ is here, you just can't see it's invisible glory!" They played down the fact they were totally wrong in 1914, 1917-1919, 1925, 1975 and finally 1994 (Generation Of 1914 was 80 Years old and so a New Generation doctrine needed to be created).

Witnesses are screwed because if they blindly follow the comments-counsel provided the Faithful Slave, a large majority of them without "means" will end up poor without a pension and savings, only to end up as the elderly getting lost in Rest Homes run by the State or non-JW Organization that cleans up after the selfish Witnesses who lived a type of Religious Hedonistic life-style. You don't have to work long hours or study late in to the night because the Kingdom of the Watchtower will provide you with all your physical needs.

While all sorts of religious and non religious citizens are attending college to make a better life for themselves, the crazy Governing Body is telling their children "It's ok to be stupid", using some comment they massage "Kids who have a education can't expect to have a stable job in our Economic Climate now" to make their masses feel the only purposeful meaning to life is sitting around a Honey Cart and chasing down sinners as Elder Sin Sleuths.

The end result is the Modern Witnesses must have their brains sucked out of them by the Watchtower Zombies because they are in for a long and painful period of poverty, martial problems, sexual issues and men playing gods over their sheep. Just as Steve said (Ray Franz brought this point out in "In Search of Christian Freedom" people are too scared to accept Spiritual Freedom and quickly hand their freedom over to Priests or Religious Mad Men). Thank's Steve for bringing that point up, people are afraid (I was one of them who was terrified I would not know how to worship without the aid of the GB, thanks to JWN (Atheist to Theists) I know that's a lie now! Thank you all here, your awesome family!

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

The OP references 'thinking skills of new Witnesses'.

This question is significant and should be of great concern.

In developed parts of the world, it's reported that the majority of baptismal candidates are born-in/raised-in youths. Many of these young kids have born-in parents. It's their grandparents who studies with Jehovah's Witnesses and made an adult decision to become members of this religion.

As a result, the 'new' ones are products of generational mental simplification. To compound the problem, the WT refuses to give the okay to it's members to pursue professional degrees through higher education.

The 'new' Witness finds himself with only a basic (at best) understanding of history, science, the arts and economics. His earning potential is well below the median for his part of the world.

He needs outside structure (his religion) to dictate how he will participate in life. He is a conformist. He is only concerned with the basic necessities of life (like a baby). He is dependent. He is controlled.

ginger

• Wulf
    Wulf

@Steve I would definitely say JWs were frequently forced not to think or do research, particularly born-ins who were discouraged, implicitly or explicitly, from higher education through social pressures. This happens from an early age and would be the precise definition of forcing someone not to think or do research IMO.

How many do you know with stunted lives? For the born-ins, this was by design if they had a zealous family who followed WTBS mandates.

As for the apathetic majority, of course that's true.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

There was one JW elder in my hall (he passed about 8 or so years ago) who was one of the smartest people I ever knew. Of course it was wasted on being a JW. His memory was remarkable. He knew the ins and outs of the Bible. He had studied many different translations and new a lot about the Greek/Hebrew languages. I enjoyed when he was my book study conductor. I learned a lot from him (not just about WT stuff). I don't think any of the new age JW's are built to be as learned as he was.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Amen. I also find that knowing a Bible true or false quizz only means that you test well in that cateogory. What difference does the reading bring to my life? The love one another commandment is paramount. Jesus 'son of man' scholarship is interesting. How I relate to other people is more important. What is the pragmatic lesson?

My recall of the 1950s is the Witnesses believing they had great Bible knowledge from jumping around from one unrelated book to another. Oh, I knew more than the Pope b/c my parents made me learn all the book titles in the Bible. I could jump from one citation to another. Reading in consecutive verses was a relevation. I no longer knew everything. There was no way I could learn Koine Greek or Hebrew. I stumbled upon Dan Berrigan addressing son of man scholarship. He said there was nothing he could add that we did not already know and he ended his sermon. Hard questions replaced certain knowledge of WT doctrine.

The only thing I regret from my teen years is the arrogance I had that WT teaching was correct.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

When I was in, I could use my own illustrations (which were often better than the crap ones used in the paragraph) or make comments that substantially added to what was in the rag. That's gone.

When I was in, I could debate xians at the door. I have had discussions with Pentecostals, and even born-agains, and held my ground against them. They went nowhere, and were nothing but a waste of time. But I was not afraid of running into Pentecostals because I could hold my own. That's gone.

When I was in, there were two Asleep rags per month, 32 pages each. From time to time, they discussed other topics besides religion. I have seen them detailing cultures in foreign lands (granted with the bias of growth of the witlesses there, and not as in depth as I have had online). I have seen hobbies discussed within those rags. Granted, they are not reliable and were not then--but at least you could learn a little about things. Granted, not as in depth as what I have learned about Chile, New Zealand, and Nigeria simply going online and researching there. But at least you got a little information there. That's gone.

When I was in, you got littera-trash of substance. Granted, rubbish. Granted, the accuracy was very poor. But you got something that could hold your interest, if you could tolerate the confusion they gave. It was like a story book about to unfold. These days, nothing--I get better drama watching the silver market these days (and buying silver) than listening to that crap, which is more about warning not to do anything that remotely resembles fun.

When I was in, they had songs that held interest. Not much, mind you. They were all crappy then, they lied then, and many were wretched. But, a few were passable as bright spots within the year. A few had interesting details that could tie in with other events within the religion. Now, it is even worse. Now, they have been simplified out of providing anything but even worse smut. They were designed to sound like dying cats and cult chants when sung according to the songbook.

Back then, it was fear of dying at Armageddon and/or self righteousness of knowing/thinking I was doing the right thing that drove me in. Now it is the threat of legal threats (remember, when you get baptized, they treat that as a signed contract and could eventually play that card, especially now with Saturn headed for Sagittarius) and being bound by inability to survive outside the cancer that keeps many in. For sure, I get everything I could have within that religion, by going online. I want "end times"--I track the silver market and play that. I want information on foreign lands and hobbies--I go online. I want "service time"--I post here and watch my total post count climbing. These days, there is nothing the jokehovians have that I cannot get here--as long as Internet I remains.

• steve2
    steve2

WTWizard I do enjoy your posts - you write well and with lots of feeling. Your reworking of the organization's language snd names is wonderfully irreverent. Jokehovians bursts a necessary bubble or two and I love the reference to the Asleep! Magazine. Your nicely sly humor suggests someone who refuses to take religious bigotry seriously and beyond that, your observations are sharp and sensible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit