"Deep down inside even they know it is BS." Discuss

by rory-ks 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Yes, exactly. I don't doubt that the majority think they believe, but if they were confident then they wouldn't be afraid of contrary information.

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

"if it's wrong then I don't wanna be right baby!"

(says the JW in his heart)

• momentofsurrender
    momentofsurrender

I can only speak from my own experience here. As a born in, who was doubly isolated by also being home-schooled, I truly believed that we had the truth. When doubts or questions came up I blamed myself - and there was that overwhelming guilt that enshrouded me. There were a few times in an attempt to understand certain reasonings I brought up questions to the elders. I was very sincere. I thought of these elders as men I could trust, one being my own uncle. The result was being severely chastised and basically told never to mention such things again.

Questions such as David not being stoned for adultery and such always received the same yada yada yada...I figured I had to accept the answers because if I didn't it just meant that I was spiritually weak, immature, or not intelligent enough to understand. And they do play the "not intelligent" card quite often - especially when you are a sister.

One of the questions was regarding wearing a hat at one of my bible studies when an 11 year old baptized brother was accompanying me. I was an adult pioneer in my late 20's. I had babysat this kid when he was an infant. It just seemed so unecessary and demeaning. Of course, I didn't bring it up that way. I tried to be the humble and sincere sister wondering about correct protocol. I ended up leaving the conversation in tears because of being completely verbally torn down. I believe that was the last time I ever raised a question. If others have the same experience - of course that are going to end up being beaten down sheeple.

Or, like myself, gradual exposure to a different process of thinking will allow them to take the steps towards healing and development of critical thinking skills.

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

momentofsurrender,

That's pretty much what I was talking about. I am also speaking from my own experience plus a little hindsite. All these little things that didn’t add up in my mind but I refused to look at them because, in reality, I was afraid of what I might find out. At the time I would never have admitted it or probably didn’t even realize it. But you allow it to happen because you want to believe that in the end you will get the reward. I don’t think that is a specific to the JWs though. It is human nature. Look how many people will ride a stock all the way to the bottom because they just know it is going to make a comeback!

• Zordino
    Zordino

Well Duh.... deep down ofcourse they know its all crap. But they're very well Brainwashed.

• kaik
    kaik

I am sure that half of them do not believe everything what is produced by Borg and what is printed in WT and Awake. There was always a lot of people who have doubt, but the fear of DF is too strong to say it aloud. However, there is always the core of hard believer who do think that they are the channel of God's communication, they have the truth, and were choosen as Jesus bride. They care less what logic is behind WT and changed doctrines, it does not matter. My evil JW aunt to her death belived that she will see the end. She died with last words to KH that she will be right back, because Armageddon is imminent and resurrection will follow. This was 12 years ago.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Wow Rory, you articulated to the letter how I found witnessing and that.

• rory-ks
    rory-ks

Jeez, third from the top too, mynameislame . Sozzles. I must have been seduced by Bill's highlighter pen.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Bumped, because I think the thread title is so true, and is something we need to remember, and use, when talking to JDubs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit