The reports of my apostasy have been greatly exaggerated

by sparrowdown 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Since finding the meetings too morally repugnant to attend (coupla months now) I have

been reaquainting myself with the joys of sat morn's at home.

Imagine my disappointment to find the group study overseer and his wife pulling up out front

the thought bubble over my head read "Oh poo, poo and double poo!!"

Anywho, whilst giving these free loading bums a coffee the wife proceeds to announce she knows

"what my problem is"

Me thinks "oh boy this should be good"

So sister ignorant judgyface says " your prob is...... your too intelligent you have a very clear logical mind and that's never a good thing.

You need to be more like me I don't worry about anything because I don't think about it"

Me replies "youre right, no one could accuse you of thinking " Sister judgyface ignoramus totally misses the sarcasm

Since when did thinking become such a crime? I mean I used to be praised for being a deep thinker when I was studying.

• blondie
    blondie

*** w83 1/15 p. 27 Armed for the Fight Against Wicked Spirits ***

Fight Against Independent Thinking

19 As we study the Bible we learn that Jehovah has always guided his servants in an organized way. And just as in the first century there was only one true Christian organization, so today Jehovah is using only one organization. (Ephesians 4:4, 5; Matthew 24:45-47) Yet there are some who point out that the organization has had to make adjustments before, and so they argue: “This shows that we have to make up our own mind on what to believe.” This is independent thinking. Why is it so dangerous?

20 Such thinking is an evidence of pride. And the Bible says: “Pride is before a crash, and a haughty spirit before stumbling.” (Proverbs 16:18) If we get to thinking that we know better than the organization, we should ask ourselves: “Where did we learn Bible truth in the first place? Would we know the way of the truth if it had not been for guidance from the organization? Really, can we get along without the direction of God’s organization?” No, we cannot!—Compare Acts 15:2, 28, 29; 16:4, 5.

*** w83 1/15 p. 22 Exposing the Devil’s Subtle Designs ***

Avoid Independent Thinking

20 From the very outset of his rebellion Satan called into question God’s way of doing things. He promoted independent thinking. ‘You can decide for yourself what is good and bad,’ Satan told Eve. ‘You don’t have to listen to God. He is not really telling you the truth.’ (Genesis 3:1-5) To this day, it has been Satan’s subtle design to infect God’s people with this type of thinking.—2 Timothy 3:1, 13.

21 How is such independent thinking manifested? A common way is by questioning the counsel that is provided by God’s visible organization. For example, God’s organization has from time to time given warnings about listening to certain types of immoral and suggestive music, and about frequenting discos and other types of worldly dance halls where such music is played and people are known to engage in immoral conduct. (1 Corinthians 15:33) Yet certain ones have professed to know better. They have rebelled against such counsel and have done what is right in their own eyes. With what result? Very often they have become involved in sexual immorality and have suffered severe spiritual harm. But even if they have not been so affected, are they not reprehensible if others follow their example and suffer bad consequences?—Matthew 18:6.

*** w89 9/15 p. 23 par. 13 Be Obedient to Those Taking the Lead ***

In the world, there is a tendency to reject leadership. As one lecturer said: “The rising education level has improved the talent pool such that followers have become so critical that they are almost impossible to lead.” But a spirit of independent thinking does not prevail in God’s organization, and we have sound reasons for confidence in the men taking the lead among us. For instance, only those meeting Scriptural requirements are appointed as elders. (1 Timothy 3:1-7) They are trained to be kind, loving, and helpful, yet firm in upholding Jehovah’s righteous standards. The elders adhere to Scriptural truth, ‘holding firmly to the faithful word, that they may be able to exhort by healthful teaching.’ (Titus 1:5-9) Of course, we should not magnify their human imperfections, for all of us are imperfect. (1 Kings 8:46; Romans 5:12) Instead of feeling frustrated by their limitations and treating their counsel lightly, let us appreciate and accept the Bible-based direction of the elders as coming from God.

Many jws believe thinking apart from the WTS thoughts is all wrong.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

I had a similar experience. After being disfellowshipped I heard that it was being spread in the congregation that I was - too intellectual!!!

A bit rich, considering that (in my experience) probably 50% of the witnesses do not really understand what they believe.

It was likely the same in the early Christian congregation. 1 Corinthians 1:27 makes the point that "God chose the foolish thats of the world," a bit of rationalisation that attempts to explain why most of the early Christians were a bit dumb.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Yeah, I was accused of that too -- too smart for my own good (whatever that means)

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Welcome sparrowdown, It is better to critically think for yourself instead of being fooled into slaving for the WTBTS. Hopefully, your wife will start to critically think for herself one day and thank you for being such a deep thinker.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

When I was newly baptized (14 years ago) I was on the ministry with one of the Service Committee. When I asked him a question, he replied, "Your problem is that you ask too many questions". Lovely!!!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Correction, abiblestudent, I believe it was the book study conductor's wife who took it upon herself to fix sparrowdown.

Did you serve cake with the coffee?

• suavojr
    suavojr

so how did the visit end? Did they try to get you on something?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Welcome me ol' cock sparrow.

So sister ignorant judgyface says " You need to be more like me..''

Says it all doesn't it?!

Since when did thinking become such a crime?

When you're in a mind controlling cult.

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

Me replies "youre right, no one could accuse you of thinking "

That really made me laugh

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit