bible students

by musky 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RR
    RR

Hi Musky,

Although the Bible Students in general believe they have the Truth, we don't claim to be God's special people on earth, or that you must be a Bible Students to be saved, as another nameless group we know claim :)

Russell didn't have ALL the answers, and often stated so. And because of that, there are differences between certain BIble Student groups. They accept the overall plan of salvation as outlined by Russell in the scriptures, however, they may differ on the DETAILS.

Some Bible Student groups can be VERY conservative, others are very liberal. The group I serve with has conservative views, yet we are very liberal in our studies. We welcome questions, disagreements, we invite Bible Students to serve us who do always see eye to eye with.

My philosophy is, if you think you have the truth, then nothing anyone says or does should shake your foundation.

Some have preconceived ideas about Bible Students, to them, I say, experience it for yourself. But at the same time, if you have a bade experience with one group, don't label them all bad.

I have visit some very conservative classes, and although I love my brethen very dearly, I know I could never survive among them.

I tell people, the worst thing that can happen to someone who doesn't see eye to eye with the class on certain issues, is that you will probably never serve as elder or deacon.

We do simply, agree to disagree.

• musky
    musky

RR,

"I tell people, the worst thing that can happen to someone who doesn't see eye to eye with the class on certain issues, is that you will probably never serve as elder or deacon."

This thought bothers me a little. It seems that an opposing view might knock one down a notch with the bible students. As the witnesses would call it "spiritually weak". Although i feel that the watchtower takes it step by step until either the opposing view is changed or the persn is labeled a trouble maker.

"My philosophy is, if you think you have the truth, then nothing anyone says or does should shake your foundation."

You really have me thinking with this philosophy. I used to think I had the truth . I was raised a witness. at 19 i met a born again at work. I worked with him for 4 years, and we always argued about who was right. If I had stood my ground, and followed your philosophy, maybe I would still be a witness today. Instead I started questioning things. But I just could not put those things out of my mind and just forget about all those doubts , like the witnesses wanted me to do.

I appreciate your replies. Thank you

musky

• RR
    RR

Musky

This thought bothers me a little. It seems that an opposing view might knock one down a notch with the bible students. As the witnesses would call it "spiritually weak". Although i feel that the watchtower takes it step by step until either the opposing view is changed or the persn is labeled a trouble maker.

You need to understand one thing. Among the Bible Students, there is NO central headquarters, no governing body. Each congregation [ecclesia] is autonomous, we cooperate with one another. EVERY consecrated member in the class has a say in matters. There are no secrets. Elders and Deacons and whatever other officers of the class there are are appointed by THE CLASS as a whole. Which is a far cry from how the Society does it. In the Society you are appointed based on your records, field service, participation, attendance, etc.

The best people who know you are the ones you associate with, in AND outside of the meetings. We have quaterly business meetings, on the last one in December, is when we nominate and elect our officers. If a person does not feel you do not fit the criteria for Elder or Deacon based on Timothy 3 you most likely will not be elected.

Personally, I would not nominate someone I felt did not meet the criteria, would you? As I said, it varies from class to class. Having a body of elders that does not see eye to eye on the BASICS caues havoc, wouldn't you think?

You really have me thinking with this philosophy. I used to think I had the truth . I was raised a witness. at 19 i met a born again at work. I worked with him for 4 years, and we always argued about who was right. If I had stood my ground, and followed your philosophy, maybe I would still be a witness today. Instead I started questioning things. But I just could not put those things out of my mind and just forget about all those doubts , like the witnesses wanted me to do.
    Ahhh, but did you really study it out? Or did you just go back to Watchtower publications? One of the first books I read about the Society was "Kingdom of the Cults" by Walter R. Martin. He made a lot of claims about the Society, and I was not so much interested in his theological position, because I had already studied out the Trinity, hellfire, immortal soul doctrines. He made other claims, personal claims against Russell and Rutherford, he documented these claims, I went to great extents to search from these documents, the books tracts, magazines, I spent thousands of dollars going into debt buying these old books, this was before ebay and the internet. The Kingdom Hall had a very poor library, so I couldn't count on them.

I read the old books, and then began to see the discrepancies from their own publications, that is the type of research I did. Most JW's would never go to that extent.

I appreciate your replies. Thank you
    You're welcome!
  • RR
    RR

Kenneson

The Dawn Bible Students definitely believe in pyramidology.

Actually, with the exception of the chapter in Russell's volumes, I don't know of any booklets published by the DAWN promoting the Great Pyramid. To be honest, there are only a few BIble STudent groups that promote the Great Pyramid, not that they do not believe it, just that they prefer to teach from scripture and not some "pile rocks' neatly stacked.

• RR
    RR

Tweetiebird

RR, if you are reading this, I have a personal question for you. Have you always been a Bible Student or did you convert?

I converted!

• Carmel
    Carmel

Musky,

I'm glad you are open about your search for a faith community even though you consider yourself a "loner". Looking for the ideal rose one often overlooks the beauty of the entire garden, indeed, the beauty of different gardens and how they are all valid given the climate and soil conditions in which they flurish. You obviously have been thinking independently enough to know you are not comfortable in a group like the JWs that are known for their high control and inability to allow for diversity.

I'd suggest you check out the public library and find out more about all the religious options available to you. I am somewhat mystical about "searching" and feel you will find what you are looking for if you are sincere and open minded.

cheers.

carmel

• musky
    musky

RR,

Thanks for your reply. I think I don't understand the structure of the bible students. Is there a elder in each group? How big is a group? How many deacons? These can be nominated by any member of the bible students? I will need to do more research on this. I will try to find out more from the bible students website.

• RR
    RR

Musky asked:

Is there a elder in each group?

Yes, there are elders AND deacons.

How big is a group?

The groups vary. The Lord said, "wherever two or three are gathered in my name, there I will be." Our little class is about 15, there are some classes that are smaller, maybe just five, depending on the location. In the Chicago class there are over 200.

How many deacons?

We have three elders in our class and two deacons.

These can be nominated by any member of the bible students?

The consecrated members [including sisters] of the class, [those who are baptized] have voting rights, they vote on an array of things, from money management to studies. On the last meeting usually in December, we nominate and elect our officers, Elders, Deacons, secretary, treasurer, and various commitee members. We normally read the scriptures referring to Elders and Deacons, before we vote.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

R.R.: If you went to the address site I posted above, you will find on
    the left side of the page names of books including the Divine
    Plan of Ages. After the book on pyramidology click on The Dawn,
    which brings you to the Dawn Bible Students Association's page.
    So are the Dawn Bible Students promoting this book on pyramidology or not? Is this author a Bible Student or not?
    If not, then obviously someone is promoting both and that could be
    misleading.

• hooberus
    hooberus

Hey dungbeetle,

Earlier you said that Duane Magnani likes to make things up. Can you give examples?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit